Chapter 33: Respite

His eyes fluttered open in the soft light, and he could hear the birds singing all around him. He was in the middle of a small forest clearing. He could hear a small stream nearby, and a soft, familiar-smelling breeze caressed his face. Or maybe it was that hand in his hair.

He just lay there, not because he was tired. He was even full of energy, but just because the situation he was in was far too comfortable to move.

Sebastian: You again?

He said without looking at her.

Well... I expected more pleasant greetings.

Sebastian: Sorry.

I know you're worried about your allies. They're all fine and you're currently lying on your friend's couch.

He closed his eyes again, enjoying the comfort.

Sebastian: Why me...?

Why not?

Sebastian: You never answer my questions.

Because you never ask important ones.

He enjoyed his situation for a while, watching the leaves dance in the wind.

Sebastian: Are you satisfied with the fact that I spared this man?

'Yes. Yes I am. And you, are you still afraid?'

Sebastian: Much less. But yes, I'm still afraid of losing everything in this world.

'That's good, it proves that you have things that are dear enough to you that you fear losing them.'

Here in this clearing, he felt infinitely reassured. The sacred light that had once flooded him still permeated him. Like a flash of goodness that ran through every fiber of his being, banishing hatred, fear and sadness. Invigorating every cell like a good night's sleep or the second wind of battle.

Sebastian: Thank you. For what you did.

All I did was help you open your eyes. To this world. To do what I cannot.

Sebastian: I was stupid. I have to get ready for loss.

I would never wish it on you. But yes. You can't go forward scared to death of losing everyone and everything you care about. Just as there's no point in going forward without holding on to anything.

Sebastian: Hm... You have soft hands.

He heard her laugh slightly. Sounding like music to his ears.

I know... And I don't even need lotions...

Sebastian: Seriously, why me and not someone else?

He sensed that the presence remained silent for a moment, seeming to reflect.

You're a brute. Violent, often ruthless, blinded by your rage. And yet I'd already sensed something in you for years. All your flaws are driven by your tenderness. An immense tenderness and love hides behind all the darkness of your heart. And if you don't want to see it, I can't, pretending I don't. The other thing I've noticed about you is your ability to change. You've changed from darkness to light.

Sebastian: And before that I had changed from light to darkness...

He said, his tone dark. The doctor couldn't forgive himself for what he'd done in the past as Babel's demon.

It is true. And to add the cherry on top of the cake, I can say that you are far too pessimistic about yourself. Me, I prefer to see the glass as half full.