Blessed are the Peacemakers (Angst/Fluff)

Arthur Morgan x Reader. You're nervous for Arthur's return from a questionable job. Upon his return your worries are justified. Angst and Fluff, 1,285 words.

     This morning wasn't anything particularly special. The gang had recently moved camp, again, to a spot called Clemens Point. Arthur and Charles had scouted out the area almost a week ago and everyone is still a bit out routine from the move.

When you got ready for the day you had realized that there was a pile of dirty clothes at the end yours and Arthur's cot. You had forgotten to do the laundry a few days ago and it really had piled up. Might as well do it now, you think to yourself. Picking up the pile of clothes, you walk over to the water. Something you liked about this location was the water. You always found the gentle waves relaxing

While you were scrubbing an especially dirty coat of Arthur's, you overheard a conversation from Dutch's tent. "You tell him, fat man," you hear Micah say. Great, you think to yourself while rolling your eyes, can't wait to see where this is going. "It's peace Dutch, the O'driscolls. I mean, I think there's a way," Pearson says. "What on earth are you talking about?" Dutch says in response. Your curiosity has gotten the best you of you. Standing up, you move a little closer to Dutch's tent but not close enough for anyone one to see you.

"Get the words out properly, fat man," Micah spits out. "I met a couple of the O'driscoll boys on the road into town... things were about to get ugly," Pearson says. You'd always had a laugh listening to his stories because of how dramatic he tends to be. "But you know how I am in a fight, huh? Like a cornered tiger," he continues. You clamp your hand over your mouth to stifle the laugh that threatened to erupt from your chest. Just as Pearson was about to keep talking you saw Miss Grimshaw approaching you. Figuring it's best not to upset her, you quickly walked back to the water to continue doing laundry.

Unfortunately, from where you were sitting you could no longer hear the men talking. You continued scrubbing clothes for a little while longer before Arthur approached you. You stood up from where you were crouching to face him. "Y/N," he says as he gets closer. "Yes?" you say in response. "I'm going with Dutch and Micah to have a little chat with Colm O'driscoll," he says to you, looking slightly annoyed and maybe a little confused. "That sounds like a real bad idea," you reply. "It probably is, but Dutch thinks it's worth a shot," he says. Look look into his eyes and sigh as you place your hands on both his shoulders. "Come back alive, please," you say with a hint of concern in your voice. "Of course," he reply's as he leans down slightly to place a kiss on your forehead.

You bid the men a farewell before going back to the laundry. For the rest of the day your work load was unusually light. You patched a few pairs of Arthur's pants and cut a few vegetable for the stew but that was it. As it neared mid-afternoon you saw Dutch and Micah return to camp. You were standing by the fire waiting to see Arthur but you never saw him. You quickly grew concerned and walked over to Dutch. "Dutch? Where's Arthur? Is he alright?" you questioned him, a little frantic. "He should be here soon. All the O'Driscoll boys just left so we left too. I'm sure he'll show up," Dutch said to you.

Dutch walked away before you could say much else to him. You went back to your tent and sat down to read a book. You try not to get yourself too worked up because you know Arthur is a strong man who can handle his own but something just felt wrong. You couldn't shake the feeling and it only got worse as more time passed.

As it got dark you only started to fear the worst. You were too nervous to even eat your stew. As you were reading still trying to calm yourself, you were suddenly pulled from your focus my a shout. "Miss Grimshaw! I need help!" Dutch's voice boomed through the camp. You promptly threw your book down and hurried over to where Dutch was. As you approached quickly you could see Arthur laying on the ground surrounded by Mary-Beth, Karen, Dutch, Pearson, Miss Grimshaw, and Reverend Swanson. "Arthur?" Your voice broke a little as your yelled his name. You pushed Pearson and Karen out of the way and dropped to your knees next to him. You put your hands to his face. It didn't seem like he could tell who was even talking to him. He had a large wound on his shoulder and was covered in blood wearing only his union suit. "He was gonna set the law on us!" Arthur groaned out. Pearson and Dutch lifted Arthur off of the floor and hauled him over to his cot.

"You're safe now, Arthur," Dutch repeated to him a few times as they laid him down. "That's pretty, Dutch... that's real pretty," he said. His voice was weak and gruff and it saddened you to see him in so much pain. "Will someone sit with him please?" Dutch asked with a little bit of urgency. Miss Grimshaw put a gentle hand on you and gestured you forward through everyone. You quickly pulled over the chair that set next to the cot and took Arthur's hand in yours. "You're gonna be okay now, Arthur," you said while your stroked a hand over his cheek.

Reverend Swanson soon came over to treat Arthur. Your heart broke for him as you watched his face contort in pain while Reverend cleaned up the large wound. Since it was so large, it couldn't be sutured so it was cleaned and bandaged as well as possible.

You stroked his hair as your watched over him. A tear slipped from your eye while you held his hand in yours. You felt terrible that there wasn't anything you could do to help him other than just watch. His hands were a little cold and you could tell he was dazing in and out of consciousness. The thought of losing him came to your mind which made you cry even harder. Leaning down and pressing your head to the edge of the cot, you let the tears spill from your eyes. You began to feel very tired and before you knew it you had fallen asleep.

When you woke up, you realized Arthur's hand was cold in yours. Your head shot up to make sure Arthur was still alive. When you looked at him your eyes met with his. He squeezed your hand slightly and his lips curled into a little smile. "How do you feel?" you questioned him. "About as good as you'd expect me to feel," he responded. You have him a sorry smile as you ran a hand through his hair. "I was scared I was gonna lose your there for a little," you said to him in a quiet voice. He squeezed your hand a little tighter and grunted as he adjusted slightly. "Thank you for staying by my side," he said to you. You finger stroked his hand as you spoke, "There's no place else I'd rather be than by your side."

____________________________________

Thank you for reading! I'm going to call this angst even though it isn't that angsty lmao. Idk what else to call this. I feel like I wrote this kind of poorly but practice makes perfect I guess.

Also, it's 6 am and I haven't slept and I'm too tired to proof  read this so if there are typos I'm sorry 😭

Request?