❁|6|❁

"Wait up, Maddie!" 

Maddie turned around. She was currently walking towards the greenhouses, where Professor Sprout always let her sit under the sunlight and complete homework. 

Hermione was running towards her sister, a box in her hand, Harry and Ron trailing behind her. 

"Hey Mione," Maddie said. "And Harry and Ron." 

"Hi Maddie." Harry and Ron said, looking out of breath from following Hermione around. They stopped right outside Greenhouse 1. 

"Maddie, did you know that house-elves are being imprisoned at this very school?" Hermione said, her nostrils flaring with anger. 

"Er- yes, I did know that..why-?" Maddie suddenly realized. "Hermione, this isn't still about Winky, is it? The poor elf is better off without Mr. Crouch anyways." 

"Of course it is! I will never forget about the mistreatment of Winky!" Hermione exclaimed. "Then I found out that Hogwarts has one of the greatest concentrations of house elves in the entire country! They're enslaved, Maddie, and they don't get pay or sick leave or pensions or any of that!" 

Maddie had a feeling that this was going to come. She sat down on the bench near the greenhouse door, placing her homework next to her. 

"Hermione's started a club," Ron explained, looking like he greatly disapproved. "It's called Spew." 

"Not Spew, Ron!" Hermione glared at him. "It's Society for the Promotion of Elfish Welfare. It's an organization I've created to help stop the injustice being shown to house elves." 

"Oh." Maddie said, unsure what to say. "Is that what that badge is?" 

"Yes!" Hermione said excitedly. "You pay two sickles, and you'll get a badge, and become a member of the club. All proceeds will go to raising awareness about house elf injustice. Will you join, Maddie?" 

Ron was looking at Maddie, shaking his head and mouthing, "Say no!" 

Maddie was pretty sure that house elves were happy the way they were..but Hermione seemed so determined to make things better for them. And, Maddie thought to herself, if in the end, house elves got paid, it would be a win-win situation. 

"Sure, but I don't have two sickles on me right now." Maddie told her, as Ron sighed and Harry looked indifferent. 

"That's okay." Hermione was positively grinning. "I'll write your name down. Oh, and you get a pamphlet too!" She handed Maddie a pamphlet that was tucked at the bottom of the box. Maddie took it and placed it on top of her homework. 

"We're off to see Hagrid now," Hermione said. 

"You're going to try and get him to join too?" Maddie asked, and Hermione nodded. 

"Want to come with us?" Hermione asked. 

"I don't know.." Maddie said, unsure. "I have some homework I want to finish before the champions get chosen tonight." 

"Who are you rooting for?" Harry asked. 

"Nobody I know," Maddie replied. "They don't need to get hurt." 

"She means Cedric," Hermione informed her friends. "Anyways, thanks Maddie. See you," 

●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘●∘◦❀◦∘

Maddie say in the Great Hall at the Hufflepuff table, alongside Alma, her other friend Catalina, Cedric, and Leo. Cedric's group of friends were sitting on the opposite side of him. 

Maddie could barely eat her Hallowe'en feast, letting turkey and mashed potatoes sit on her plate. She could eat later; putting food in her would do nothing but upset her stomach that was already on edge because of her nerves.