Chapter VII

Noah didn't get out of bed the next day, nor the day after. Although he didn't remember why, he felt utterly drained, and all he wanted to do was sleep; sleep and forget it all, but the nightmares wouldn't leave him in peace. He saw his father, Alister, Andrew there, shifting shapes, sometimes merging and becoming horrible monsters. Other times it was just Andrew or his father, and when they tried to attack, Alister came to his rescue. Upon waking up, he would search for him at his side, and when he realized Alister was at work, he would close his eyes and try to fall back asleep. In the few instances he found him there, he clung to him until his hands felt numb. All he wanted was for Alister to hold him, comfort him, and give him love.

Alister quickly noticed the cuts on his wrist and scolded him sternly, but Noah couldn't comprehend anything he was saying. All he could do was gaze at him, mesmerized, wishing he would embrace him over and over. Alister realized this and abandoned the idea of punishing him. He knew Noah's condition was delicate, and for now, he just needed to take care of him. There would be time to settle scores later.

Lizzie was truly worried. She felt guilty because she knew that locking Noah up hadn't been a good idea. She couldn't understand what had happened while she was gone, but the mess she found that day made her believe that a frightened animal crashing into everything in its path while trying to escape had been inside the house. Of course, she soon realized that Noah was responsible when Mr. Alister came down the stairs and briefly explained the situation. While he was away, he had visited Noah frequently, bringing him food and trying to talk to him, but the boy barely responded.

Two full days went by during which he barely spoke or ate, and as if by a miracle, Noah got up at dawn on the third day as if nothing had happened. He resumed having breakfast with Lizzie each day and talked to her about a bunch of nonsensical things he had seen on TV. The girl didn't quite know how to react. She even doubted what Noah was telling her, as it seemed he was inventing a story that couldn't have happened even on television. Moreover, she noticed how his eyes would intermittently lose themselves in the distance, only to then look at her with an intensity that scared her. Noah always paid attention when she spoke, staring intently into her eyes, which she found uncomfortable but also made her feel important. But now, he seemed to look at her as if he wanted something. As if he was pleading for her attention. His eyes fixed on her, absorbing every word she said.

A week after the incident, while Noah was calmly eating his lunch in the kitchen, she finally decided.

"Hey, can I ask you something?"

"Of course!" he mumbled with a mouth full of bread.

"What happened that day when I left home?"

Noah looked at her confused. It was as if he had truly forgotten.

"When?"

"A week ago, on the last day Mr. Alister was away."

"Oh! I'm not quite sure... I think nothing?"

"Ah..."

"Why?"

"It's just... I know I shouldn't have locked you in. I'm really sorry about that, but Mr. Alister asked me to and I..."

"Alister wouldn't do that!" he laughed amusingly. "Besides, it's okay. Nothing happened because I'm here now, right?"

Lizzie looked at him incredulously. He really didn't remember what had happened. She could see it in his eyes. It was at that moment that something inside her clicked.

"Noah..."

"Yes?"

"You don't have to answer, but... do you have feelings for me?"

"Of course I do, that's why we're friends," he smiled innocently.

"I don't mean that. Do you have any romantic feelings for m...?"

She didn't get to finish the sentence as the kitchen door swung open.

Alister entered, smiling cheerfully, while Noah got up as fast as he could to embrace him desperately, knocking over some of the food he was eating.

"Mr...," Lizzie murmured in surprise. "Welcome home! You're back early..."

"I decided to take the afternoon off today, there wasn't much work, and Noah... well," he sighed while stroking the boy's hair; he had clung onto him, burying his head against Alister's chest. "Was everything alright?" he asked, giving Lizzie an odd look.

"Y-yes... I was just keeping Noah company."

"Good. You can go home for today. You don't need to do anything else," he smiled as always.

"Thank you so much, sir. I'll leave then."

Lizzie gathered her things from the cabinet and hurriedly left the kitchen. For some reason, the look Alister had given her had made her tremble. She couldn't recall another time when the same had happened. His gazes were usually calm, almost vacant... as if his smile was just to keep her at ease, which didn't take away from the fact that he was always charming. But this time, even though he had tried to keep his usual expression, Lizzie sensed for a few seconds at least that his gaze was filled with fire. She knew him so well that she had been scared. She had never seen that kind of look in him before. And she didn't want to see it again. As she left the house, she let out a long sigh and walked quickly through the garden, trying to forget what had just happened.