32.2 - Meet the Family (Kieran)

Naomi and Kieran slipped outside into a fenced-in backyard where an older woman with short brown hair waved a bubble wand around for a toddler to chase with glee. A slightly older boy had a second wand and was blowing them for Baxter, who kept barking and nipping at bubbles on the grass.

"Hey, Mom," Naomi greeted as they ventured from the deck to the patio.

"It's Auntie Naomi!" Her mom said to the boys.

"Aunt Mimi!" the older boy cried out and ran straight into her legs to embrace them.

That was adorable, and he noted the nickname too. He hadn't found the right one yet. Everyone else called her Nomi or used her name, but he wanted something that was just theirs.

"Hey, Jace." She leaned down to ruffle her nephew's hair. He must be Jason. "How was the long drive to Grandma's?"

"It took forever, and you took even more forever to get here." Jason's gaze landed on Kieran, and he narrowed his eyes. "Who's that?"

Naomi knelt at Jason's level and gazed at Kieran. "That's my boyfriend."

Jason crossed his arms and pouted. "You don't have a boyfriend!"

She chuckled. "I didn't the last time you visited, but now I do."

"Why do you need a boyfriend?" The boy eyed Kieran again as if searching for hidden wings or a sword that might make him worth the effort.

Naomi continued to laugh as she rubbed Jason's arm. "When some grown-ups get older, they like to have a special friend they share special memories with. Like your mom and dad did before they got married."

The kid wrinkled his nose. "I never want a girlfriend."

"That's okay. I didn't want a boyfriend when I was your age either. Some people are happy with regular friends their whole lives, and there's nothing wrong with that," Naomi said.

Her mom walked over in a pink sleeveless blouse and a pair of flowing linen pants, holding the youngest boy's hand. "Hi, I'm Leanne. It's wonderful to meet you."

Kieran shook her hand and introduced himself.

"I hate to admit I was as surprised as my grandson about you. Naomi's tight-lipped when she wants to be, although Jodie mentioned you've been friends for a little while."

"Yeah." Kieran shared their rehearsed meet-up story, still recalling how awkwardly he offered to hug her and how perfect she felt in his arms. He wouldn't have believed that fewer than two months later, he'd be meeting her parents as her boyfriend.

Leanne adjusted a gold necklace that matched her earrings. "I'm relieved something positive came of everything Naomi went through lately."

Naomi leaned her head against his chest. "Kieran is more than I ever expected."

Jason sighed. "Can we play soccer? This is boring."

She laughed. "Of course, I can't believe I was so terrible to keep His Majesty the super soccer player waiting."

"My coach says I'm one of the best players on the team."

"Wow, way to go, superstar!" She gave him a high five. "Get the ball and show me those moves."

The youngest boy released Leanne's hand and ran to Naomi, who picked him up and spun him around, chanting, "Leo". The youngest boy shrieked, followed by the widest smile.

"She's so good with the boys," Leanne said.

As Jason returned with a ball, Naomi let Leo down to waddle toward Leanne and Kieran.