Chapter 1

It was Rodney's birthday. Fifteen. Him and I had just gotten out of Juvenile hall. But we celebrated all the same, by climbing on top of the nearest Walmart and people watching while drinking a couple of Monster energy drinks.

"Dude, does this mean we have to go to highschool?" He lightly smacked my arm as he spoke. I shrugged, "I would like to graduate, so yeah, I think we should." He groaned and took another swig of Monster before answering me, obviously annoyed, "sophomores? But bro! Ugh.." I shrugged, not answering, but he was used to that and kept talking, "schools gon' be hard for ya." I nodded again. "Bruh, I'll help you through it though, ya know?" I sighed and punched his arm, "Rodney, I know." He laughed. Silence fell over us. But it was comfortable silence.

I practically lived at his house. It was always really cool. My dad was an arse, mother was dead, brother was a dick, so I lived at his house. Although, his house wasn't heaven either.. But it was less. His father was a drunk, his mother was a whore, But his door had a lock on it.
Monday morning and his mothers voice wakes us up, "kiddos! It's time for school! Get da hell up!" Her fake jersey accent always sounded forced, but today it was worse. "Ew... Monday." Rodney's sleepy voice cracked and he rolled over. I was sleeping on the floor in yesterday's clothes, barely awake, Until he prodded my side with his foot.

It was cold in august, that's unheard of, isn't it. I stood a little too close to Rodney at the bus stop, but he never seemed to care when I did that.

Getting on to the bus, terrifying. At least for me it was. Everyone stared. Rodney and I had missed the last part of freshman year from being in Juvi. I say silently in the back next to him as he loudly joked with his old friends. I had never even known him before our little run in with the police.

I stared down at my lap the entire ride, listening to him joke and fool with his friends. The bus stopped and he looked over at me, about to say something stupid but he stopped and stared at me. His expression looked worried but I didn't understand why.

First block went by quite quickly. I flew under the radar without getting called on or harassed. Ten whole minutes before second black started, the torture. I found Rodney immediately though as he was in second block with me. He was laughing as his friends quarreled about something petty. I just kind of shower up next to him and he knocked his shoulder into mine, "wazzup bro!" He called at me, his friends called the same thing, in unison. "Uh .. Hi." I whimpered and inched a little closer to Rodney. He rested his arm across my shoulders and went back to talking to his friends. I was out of it until I heard someone talk over the others, "bro your so gay, this your boyfriend?" Someone pokes my chest and I involuntarily flinched back. "No!" Rodney said quite defensively. "I'm so fu.cking straight what're you talking about??" I stood silently, knowing that I was actually bisexual. Rodney and whoever this jockish guy was, were arguing about if Rodney was straight.
And the bell rang.

I walked quietly to second block with Rodney. Well, more like following him like a lost puppy. I took my seat next to Ash who I used to talk to. He picked up conversation immediately. "Oh my gawd, Shane! I missed you so much where've you been??" He leaned closer to my desk, sitting sideways in his desk, one earbud in his ear, heavy metal quietly being able to be heard from the earbud that was dangling. "Ash, I missed you too!" I leaned closer to him and gave him a brief hug. A smile was pasted across his face as he babbled on and on about all the stuff that has happened since I've been gone. All of a sudden he went quiet and his face went pale. "What?" I asked but he was staring behind me. "Your n-new friend looks kinda pissed at me." He mumbled. "What do you mean, ash?"
"Rodney, he keeps giving me death glares.."
"Rodney does?"
"Uh-huh, he looks jealous" ash lowered his voice substantially before continuing, "he your boyfriend?" I shook my head quickly and my cheeks flushed bright pink, "oh! No no no! He's straight. And I don't like him that way! No!" Ash nodded. "Hey! Ashton! Shane! No talking! Class has started!" Mr Perkins jabbed at us.

I walked swiftly to the boys washroom, the halls were empty as Second block was still in session. I stepped in and gripped the edge of the sink, my hands and arms shook. Anxiety was killing me in Math class today, I seemed to get every problem wrong. "Shane.. Are you okay?" It was Ash's voice, sounding extra concerned. i nodded a little too quickly, staring at the sink, "y-yeah I'm fine, j-just.." I trailed off as I felt his hand on mine. "Hey, Shane.. Remember, I can help you." Then it hit me that I had never broken up with Ashton before I had gone into Juvi. I took a step back as he took a step towards me, I didn't like him like that. But my heel hit the wall and the panic hit me, making my chest tighten. That's why Ash was nice to me when I walked in, he used to harass me in lower grades. Bully me. He laughed quietly as I side stepped away from him and practically sprinted back to class.

The lunch bell rang the second my butt hit the desk seat and I sprinted out of the room. I was so done with this, I was going to drop out. That was my decision that ruined everything I had planned.