XXII

Days passed and the news of Council Myer's death spread quickly. Master Filip said he died because of a stab straight to his heart before he was pushed from a certain height. Nikolas had been anxious about it kahit na hindi niya ipakita sa akin. I know heat is brewing inside the palace and people are starting to fear its walls. What if my spy na naman ang nakapasok? What if worse things are going to happen next?

What if they will come for the King's life?

Ilan lang iyon sa mga bagay na tumatakbo sa isip ko. I know that the people inside the palace whisper about it. The servants talk and I often sneak around to hear the news about what's happening and what they think is going to happen. People would doubt Nikolas more as their King. 

I also know that I am the easiest suspect. I have heard the whispers. In fact, the majority of the council believed I killed Council Myer after he opposed the king for making me a member of the King's Court. I didn't mind the accusations. What I minded was what it would do to Nikolas's reputation. Would this destroy him? What if worse comes to worst and the Kingdom of Visaris would fall apart because of this? 

Sa pagkakaalam ko, the Council had been a crucial part of the Kingdom. The Council consists of twelve members--or used to consist of twelve members. Their main job is to give pieces of advice to the King should he make important decisions. It existed for years after Visaris was founded. It was older than the current generation and their influence had been established quite strongly over the years. Kaya naman mahirap balewalain ang Council. If they came together, they would make the people doubt their own King. 

Nikolas once told me that the Council was the reason his father's mind had been so clouded. They had been toxic and had been thinking mainly for their own gains. Nikolas wished to disband the Council but it would take much work and complicated chaos.

"So...like, are you going to be sentenced to death? Again?" Arleigh said after the long silence. Sinamaan ko naman siya ng tingin. Roy was standing by the door but I could see how his jaw clenched at Arleigh's statement. This woman doesn't know the word filter. Sanayan na lang. 

I sighed and sat on the bed. "Nikolas said there is no evidence that I was the one who did it so they can't accuse me of it. But I know it would only be a matter of time before they start coming for me."

"The King is on your side. Who's more powerful than a King, though?" 

The Council, I thought. 

"If the people would brand me as a criminal and would demand my execution, wala na akong magagawa doon. If Nikolas will protect me, he would be branded as a traitor by his own people. It would put Nikolas in a tight spot and I don't want that to happen. Even as Nikolas would defend my name, it won't change the people's view of me."

Arleigh nodded. "True. As far as they know, you're the Evelyn that worked as the spy for this Southern Kindom. They would definitely brand you a criminal forever. Heck, they would blame the bad harvest on you too if they had the chance."

Arleigh has a point but I don't want to think of the complications at the moment.

"Nasaan nga pala si Mark?"

"He's with Leon. They've been busy engineering stuff they needed to make. Hindi na ako magtataka kung mababalitaan ko na lang na sila na." Arleigh waved her hand dismissively ngunit hindi tumakas sa paningin ko ang bahagyang pagtingin niya sa gawi Roylan.

Right. Leon and Amrk had been busy creating the weapons. The technology that Visaris was aiming for. Kung magiging payapa ang pakikipag-usap namin sa reyna ng Solaris, there would be no need for these weapons. But if everything doesn't go according to plan, then the weapons shall be used. Hopefully, it would be the former. 

We stayed in another comfortable silence. Arleigh has been sleeping in my chamber for almost a week now dahil na rin sa nangyari. Arleigh also liked it since it would mean she would get to see Roylan every time. Leon and Mark had been spending a lot of time lately in their laboratory. Hindi ko pa nakita ang itsura ng lab nila but it's not in my best interest, either.

Bigla na lamang may kumatok sa pinto ng kwarto namin. Roylan was quickly on high alert and his hand went to his sword.

"Roy," tawag ko sa kanya. He did not dare remove his gaze from the door.

"Yes, my lady," he answered.

"You're being too paranoid. I think it's either Leon or Mark. Or perhaps it's Nikolas."

"I can't risk any harm to you, Lady Evelyn."

"Why are you not guarding the King, Roy? You're the King's guard. Not an Emissary guard."

"The King ordered me to watch you, Lady Evelyn."

Another series of knocks came over and then followed by a voice.

"I appreciate you doing your duty more seriously, Roylan, but please open the door. It's me."

Bigla namang tumalon ang puso ko nang marinig ko ang boses na iyon.

Agad akong napatayo sa kinauupuan ko dahilan para taasan ako ni Arleigh ng kilay. Hindi ko na lang siya pinansin at tiningnan ang pinto nang buksan ito ni Roy.

Nikolas stood in the doorway, looking dashing as always. Pati si Arleigh ay napasipol sa nakita. It was not exactly a behavior fit in front of the King but luckily, Nikolas doesn't mind.

Nakatingin siya sa akin at bahagyang ngumiti.

"A letter arrived this morning. And it was from the Queen of Solaris," he announced.

Nanlaki ang mga mata ko habang nakatingin sa kanya. "Did you read it? What did it write?"

Nikolas shook his head, much to my dread.

"You wrote the letter and I believe you should be the one to open it too."

What the heck?

***

The walls of the King's quarter were a cool shade of blue. The ivory-colored furniture made the room feel like I was in the clouds. It was meant to make people feel relaxed but it had done little to ease the nervousness I was feeling.

I was holding the letter opener on my right hand and the letter on the left. I saw the seal of Solaris pasted in front of the paper.

Ramdam ko ang tingin nilang lahat sa akin. Roy stood by the door and near the door was the fireplace where Mark chose to lean on. On one of the sofa was Leon and Arleigh while Nikolas sat behind his table.

"Why must I bear this dreadful feeling?" I said to Nikolas.

"To be fair, we're feeling dreadful too. Just open the letter, Eve. What did your pen pal say?" Leon leaned onto his seat.

Dahan-dahan ko namang binuksan ang sobre gamit ang letter opener. The sound of paper tearing against the sharp metal seemed too loud—adding to my growing anxiety. I think everyone hitched their breaths when I tore it open.

Kinuha ko ang eleganteng papel sa loob at binasa. Even the letters looked like they came straight out of a fairy tale. Everything about this world just screams grandeur and opulence.

Evelyn Diaze,

The letter started.

Mabilis ang mga mata ko habang binabasa ang kabuuan ng liham.

When I wrote the letter, I poured my heart and soul into it. Making the words bleed. I wrote it bearing part of the burden that Nikolas carries. I wrote for the Kingdom that I once betrayed.

"What did the letter say, Eve?" tanong ni Arleigh sa akin.

Natapos kong basahin ang liham at tiningnan silang lahat.

Although Nikolas kept his face expressionless, I could tell he was itching to know what was written on the letter. 

I sighed and placed the letter gently on his table.

"The Queen has granted us an audience."

~
another chapter later to make up for the chapter I missed to post yesterday