LVII

One thing I could say about Lorence is that she's a kickass. Exactly the same as what I imagined my sister would have been had she been alive. One thing she was determined to do was to get back her throne and I was all for it. 

It was risky, yes. Knowing that the Council might have already turned their backs on their Queen and if they know that she's here, it might not end very well for us. 

Luckily, we could ambush one of the maids and ask her what was going on. 

"Y-Your Majesty!" the maid said, surprised to see Lorence. 

"Tell me what on earth is going on while I am gone," Lorence said. 

The dark room concealed us enough in the back but we could clearly see the maid's nervous face.

"The Council...pinakalat na nila sa lahat na nawala ka na at iniwan ang kaharian para sumama sa lalaki." 

What the heck? 

"Ano?" Lorence asked in disbelief. 

"He told the rest of the court that you were being kidnapped and then it...the narrative changed and that you were not kidnapped but willingly came to escape with the...Prince from Visaris."

I knew she was talking about Leon. It's just so low that they were using that as a way to destroy Lorence's reputation. 

"And so they have free reason to accuse the Prince and the King of Visaris of what has allegedly happened to me?" 

The maid nodded and I almost cursed out loud. 

Lorence told the maid not to tell a soul about her being in the palace and she also told them to gather every maid and escape. Hindi ko alam kung anong magiging kahihinatnan ng pagpunta namin dito but Lorence doesn't want to take chances especially if innocent lives are going to be compromised. 

The maid nodded and then we were alone once again in the quiet chamber. 

"What do you plan to do now?" tanong ko sa kanya. 

Tahimik lang siyang nakatingin sa pinto kung saan lumabas ang maid kanina. Then her eyes went to the grandfather clock standing in the corner. 

"I am raiding the throne room right now," she started and then she looked at us. "I am asking you to come with me and you are not obliged to do so. Once I go in there, there are all sorts of danger and I don't want to place you three in that situation--"

"Nonsense," I said. "We're coming with you and we shall be with you as you take back your throne."

She did not hide the smile on her face before she took a deep breath. For the first time, she showed us her anxiety. All this time she had been hiding it and now it shows. Kaya naman nilapitan ko siya at hinawakan sa kamay. Tiningnan niya ako at kitang-kita ko na medyo gumaan ang pakiramdam niya. 

"Salamat, Evelyn," she mumbled and I just nodded. 

"Show them who's the boss." 

*

The way to the throne room was not as difficult as I imagined it to be. 

Lorence marched along the long hallways, head held high. The moment the guards saw her, they were surprised to see their Queen who did not look like she had been kidnapped. May hawak na punyal si Lorence and as soon as the guards saw it, they straightened. I could have sworn some of them muttered a curse as Lorence walked by. 

None of them raised their weapons. None of them moved and attacked. All they could do was gape at the woman who walked with sheer confidence and authority. No one dared to do anything at all.