Changes Incomming

Jeremiah was walking through the lobby leading up to the daycare centre, her morning coffee in hand. The place was eerily quiet right now, but she knew that within the next 20 minutes, kids would come running and screaming through these hallways. She loved the chatter of the kids, but it was always nice to have a calm moment on a Sunday morning.

She was headed to the stairs when a familiar voice called to her. "Hey! Jeremiah! Wasn't expecting to see you today!" He practically shouted. Jeremiah turned back to look at the person calling to her. "Hey Josh." She greeted.

Joshua had been working at the pizzaplex as a technician since before she landed her job at the Daycare centre about a year ago. His short, messy blond hair was already drenched with oil and grease despite the workday having just started, as always. He never seemed to be able to keep himself clean when he was busy working at the plex.

He joined her in her walk down to the daycare entrance. She kept her distance from him. She liked Josh a lot, they had become good friends, but she'd rather not have her clothes dirty this early in the morning, he'd understand. He always did.

"So, I see you decided to stick around a bit longer? Did you renew your contract?" Jeremiah nodded. "It's a fun job, it pays well too. Besides, I promised Aunt Julia that I would look after her kids. They like it here, and I can understand her concern surrounding the new changes, I'm not in favor of them either." Josh nodded. "Don't worry, I promise you it'll be fine." Jeremiah scuffed when she heard his reassurance, she doubted things could be "fine" after what had happened a few weeks earlier. "So, how long are you in for?" he asked. "Six months. You're not getting rid of this face that easily." Josh laughed. "Good, I was already starting to miss it."

"How come you're up here and not in maintenance?" she asked as she reached the door to the Daycare, halting in front of it and turning towards her friend. "I asked Luca to get some stuff from the Theatre. He hasn't come back yet, so I'm going to check up on him." Jeremiah frowned. "The intern's still here?" she asked surprised. Josh sighed. "It wasn't his fault. We didn't brief him properly. Luca's a good kid, he deserves another chance." She nodded. "I know, it's that thing's fault. I just thought the boss would've blamed it on him." "Luckily, they didn't."

Josh looked at his Fazwatch, a specialized watch all employees got on their first day of work. It's mostly used for communication and keeping track of tasks, but it also includes a map and security cameras of the entire building, an emergency call button, a digital clock and an order and delivery tab, where you could order food or drinks from any of the restaurants in the plex in case you weren't able to go get it yourself. Every employee got one free meal a day after all. "It's almost opening time, I should let you get started." He said, as he waved his goodbyes. Jeremiah was about to open the giant door that led into the Daycare when she heard him shouting again. "Oh, right! Before I forget. You're expected to come to the staff meeting tonight, in maintenance. Tuesday's the big day, we wanted everyone to meet the new coworker before his first shift! Bye for real now!"

Jeremiah's heartrate dropped. She knew this day was going to come, it's why she debated on leaving the plex, but she had hoped it would take Josh and Emanuel, the lead programmer, longer to perfect that thing. She sighed as she put on the lights of the daycare and walked inside, setting her still warm coffee on the security desk. She looked around at the daycare, which surprisingly still looked brand new. It was closed when she started working at the plex, for reasons she did not know, but reopened about 4 months ago. That's when she got the position as Daycare attendant, and she has had it ever since.

The daycare attendant, soon, she wouldn't be called that anymore, she'd just be the assistant. That position was going to be handed to something else, something not-human. Jeremiah had never had that much of a problem with her many robot coworkers. Heck, she liked spending time with Roxanne during breaks. Despite not looking like a human, she did seem human. She acted like one, seemed to actually have emotions and such. It was quite impressive. But the one from the theatre was different. It didn't have a complex code, it just followed whatever script was put into it, and didn't seem to have a mind of its own. It's blank, emotionless eyes and wide teethy grin always unsettled her. Not to mention, it was a tall animatronic, like, very tall. Too tall in her opinion. She never liked watching it preform, it creeped her out. Especially during the "night scenes", where it would transform into a different version of itself, even scarier and more unsettling than the other version. It was made with the "hero at day/villain at night" trope in mind, and she could tell from the screams and cries from the watching kids, that they too were scared when that one showed up.

She shuddered. How could they let that thing walk around in the daycare? How could they trust that thing to be safe around kids? Especially after what happened?

From what she had gathered from Josh, they were gonna remodel and reprogram it to be more fitting in it's new setting, but despite that, she still didn't trust it. She couldn't trust it.

Jeremiah was pulled out of her train of thoughts when she suddenly heard excited screams. She looked around, the first kids had arrived. Jeremiah decided to not allow herself to be distracted anymore. Tomorrow was closing day, which meant it was her last day as a single attendant. She wasn't going to let anything ruin this for her.