28 | We've All Been Sentenced to Die

Joon and Taehyung had not been able to catch up with Moonybul before her trail disappeared into the sound

Joon and Taehyung had not been able to catch up with Moonybul before her trail disappeared into the sound. They'd swum to the other bank to see if her trail had picked up in a straight line, but there was no trace of her for miles in either direction on the eastern shore.

It was all my fault. She had come, as Jimin had seen, to make peace with the Cullens, only to be angered by my camaraderie with Minghyu. I wished I'd noticed her earlier, before Minghyu had phased. I wished we'd gone hunting somewhere else.

There wasn't much to be done. Joon had called Solar with the disappointing news. Solar and Hwasa hadn't seen Moonybul since they'd decided to come to my wedding, and they were distraught that Moonybul had come so close and yet not returned home; it wasn't easy for them to lose their sister, however temporary the separation might be. She wasn't answering their calls or texts. She was just gone. I wondered if this brought back hard memories of losing their mother so many centuries ago.

Jimin was able to catch a few glimpses of Moonybul's immediate future, nothing too concrete. She wasn't going back to Denali, as far as Jimin could tell. The picture was hazy. All Jimin could see was that Moonybul was visibly upset; she wandered in the
snow-swathed wilderness—to the north? To the east?—with a devastated expression. She made no decisions for a new course beyond her directionless grieving.

Days passed and, though of course I forgot nothing, Moonybul and her pain moved to the back of my mind. There were more important things to think of now. I would leave for Italy in just a few days. When I got back, we'd all be off to South America.

Every detail had been gone over a hundred times already. We would start with the Ticunas, tracing their legends as well as we could at the source. Now that it was accepted that Minghyu would come with us, he figured prominently in the plans—it was unlikely that the people who believed in vampires would speak to any of us about their stories. If we dead-ended with the Ticunas, there were many closely related tribes in the area to research.

Joon had some old friends in the Amazon, Jisoo and Lalisa; if we could find them, they might have information for us, too. Or at least a suggestion as to where else we might go for answers. It was unlikely that the two Amazon vampires had anything to do with the legends of vampire hybrids themselves, as they were both female. There was no way to know how long our search would take.

 There was no way to know how long our search would take