Chapter 2: Weakness

"I'll ask again, are you a murderer?" several days have passed since the boy re-opened his eyes but Hadvar was yet to hear him speak. Due to the ex-prisoner's refusal to cooperate, the wizard settled on 'naming' Edrich after one of the seven legendary dragons, Zu Dalorquone Farkovial (Dalraq for short). It soon came to light that the boy knew exactly how Dalorquone earned his place in the Seven: Edrich disliked being addressed by that name so strongly that he even tried punching Hadvar once.

There was no need to dodge the attack- the small fist couldn't even reach him.

The crystallization left Edrich weaker than ever. His injuries were treated and he had the privilege of eating properly for the first time in what could be a lifetime but he did not seem to be recovering from the trauma. Considering the amount of mana that was sucked out of him it was a miracle that he was even alive- after all, mana is one's life force in a way. He was told that the time of his recovery will depend solely on his mana regeneration rate for he will only regain his strength when his body holds enough mana to fill another soul gem.

Hadvar took the liberty of informing 'Dalraq' of the existence of a simpler solution: it was possible to claim the mana inside a charged crystal as your own. Edrich did not reply, of course, but the disgusted glance he threw at the man confirmed that this is not a path either of them would like to take. Hadvar, too, felt sick just thinking about this option- having a mix of unfamiliar life-forces flowing through your veins was one of the few sensations he would absolutely not want to feel again.

Edrich's savior was about to ask another question but he stopped himself once he realized how ironic this situation was- he, the man who was prepared to take the boy's life just a week earlier, was demanding information from Edrich... The wizard obviously did not have the right to, nor was the child obligated to answer.

He had to set some things straight. "I am Hadvar." The boy was caught off guard by the statement and he showed one of his rare surprised expressions, a reaction that Hadvar was pleased with. "I apologize for not introducing myself earlier. I go by the name Crimson Cane Hadvar and I teach Mana Manipulation in Teggen's High Academy of Magical Studies." He stopped speaking for a moment as if to appreciate the sound of the birds chirping cheerfully as they departed from one tree and landed on another, sometimes much clumsier than what you'd think a bird would be. The man was giving Edrich an opportunity to drop the rude attitude and answer politely, as if he didn't know that there was nothing that the child could do.

After a silence that made it clear that no words will go through Edrich's lips, Hadvar continued: "You have dragonblood in you, child; You are a wizard. Once you're strong enough, I plan on having you study at the Academy- if you are interested, of course, nothing will done without your consent."

It was tiring, speaking to someone who did not react to your words. Hadvar could not comprehend how anyone could refuse an offer this kind, regardless of their social standing. The boy seemed very passive when it came to this topic- he did not care much for magic and never thought of wanting to use it. For him, magic was just another human trait that would give an individual an advantage, just like good looks, wealth or intelligence.

Even without having Hadvar say it, Edrich knew why the man questioned his innocence. He was, after all, charged with murder- any wizard who dares take a criminal as a disciple must have evil intentions, for no man can tell what a murderer would use that kind of power for. He assumed that it was also the reason Hadvar carried him to the top of a mountain after their escape- the child might have been a danger to anyone he would come in touch with during his recovery, Hadvar included.

Being a skilled wizard, there was nothing for him to fear when his opponent was someone like the blue-eyed boy. Edrich was young, inexperienced, unskilled and weakened as a result of crystallization. With his guard up, Hadvar was invulnerable.