Chapter 13

Chapter 13

They only had one day to go when a snowstorm attacked the area. Sealed in a cave for the next several days without much to do, they ended up talking: "How come you became a priestess of Soryn?" Kayla initiated, knowing that the woman might not be willing to answer the question.

"Actually, it's a very long story. I never wanted to become anything like that, you see..." she would not speak of it any more, that much was obvious. "How old are you?" the girl continued. The priestess probably knew more about her than she did, so there was nothing for her to even ask; that was probably the only way for them to pass time. The atmosphere was very friendly and the kohiri's previous mistakes were somewhat irrelevant now. She has been quite helpful in their journey so far.

"I'll turn ninety once winter ends."

"So high priests really are immortal, huh..." Kayla sighed. The woman looked no older than twenty- probably the age in which she accepted the responsibility handed to her by the gods.

"Kayla," Xiopea suddenly remembered. "I do know about each of your pasts, yet I can't understand how you ant Ed came together."

"He saved my life." She replied with a smile. "We saved each other several times after that. Some were easier and some were harder..." The boy nodded in agreement. He was not actively participating in the exchange but he was listening very attentively.

As soon as the pair ran out of questions and all that remained was silence, he raised three fingers. Kayla translated his question: "Could you tell us about the other priests?" Edrich coughed and after a moment of thought, Kayla added:" and about your relationships with them. I mean... You are a Kohiri, after all." Edrich nodded again and waited patiently for her reply.

"I can't tell you much," she confessed, "But yes, they are both Galan. They had a very hard time accepting me... and I had to prove myself on various occasions. When I got my power of vision, the one who was still not certain conceded. I am now trusted by them and treated as an equal."

"And...the people?" Kayla knew this would be an uncomfortable topic but childish curiosity got the better of both her and Edrich.

Xiopea turned her face away. "You know as well as I do that they will never accept me."

After a minute of painful silence, she continued: "I am the... mysterious third priest. I exist to be unnoticed and walk among the people, watch them as one of their own. In reality, I just do everything behind the scenes, from gathering information to taking care of serious issues like mass murder or large vampire packs."

"It's good enough for me." Of course it wasn't. She dedicated her life to those who would mock her and harm her whenever she was seen by them. One of the other priest would often suggest that her identity is revealed but she would not allow it; that would take from the people's respect to the priests and it was not a price that she was willing to pay, not now.

"Ed, do you want me to tell Kayla about your... past?" the vampire already knew that the boy had secrets. Xiopea was giving him a chance to open up to Kayla.

She would accept him, he knew, but he couldn't bear the memories, even years after the incident. He was ashamed of what he did then and the burden he carried since was his alone to bear. He did not need her pity or her sympathy. He needed to repay his debt to those he had wronged. He did not deserved happiness, not in this lifetime.

Kayla... the girl was an exception.

He shook his head. The other two nodded in understanding.

Xiopea knew what happened that night. She saw it in his memories in her dreams and awoke from sleep, crying. Her fate has been cruel to her but never at that age... Edrich spent so many years suffering, so many years alone, tormenting himself over the evil that he has brought upon his loved ones. Several years of his past did not appear in her visions, the years after the destruction of his village, and she assumed that he himself erased them. She could not imagine a way in which a child like him could hold on to his sanity after that but other than his inability to speak, he was fine; his conscience and his heart remained human. He knew love, he knew thoughtfulness, he knew that life is above all else, always.