Chapter Six: Journey

Nevo walks outside of the Nya's room and into the general med bay area. It feels almost cold to the head medic due to the fact that they have to keep Nya's room so warm. As soon as he walks through the doors, Bo-Katan, Ursa, Alrich, Tristan, and Sabine Wren, Plo-Koon, Commander Wolffe, Sinker, and Boost all stand up or stop in their tracks.

"She's alive."

Everyone breathes out a breath of relief, then Sabine asks, "What happened?"

Nevo shifts his weight, sighs, then says, "Based on her bloodwork, she overdosed on the sleeping pill, dipill."

The room is so quiet you could hear a pin drop. No one speaks, and Nevo doesn't try to make them. Nya's family and friends are all trying to understand what would make her do that. Eventually, Sinker croaks out,

"Sleeping pills?"

Nevo nods. "The head medic of the 501st legion, Kix, prescribed them to her during her stay on The Resolute."

Wolffe, Sinker, and Boost then mutter a couple of curses in Mando'a. She had told the three of them about the nightmares when they were on The Resolute but all three had forgotten about them when the Wolfpack returned to the war. He felt terrible. Nya had checked up on all three of them regularly, but none of them bothered to check on her. And because of that, she could have died.

Sinker blows his breath, and practically yells, "How were we so stupid?"

Boost and Wolffe both look down. Everyone else is confused. And Plo voices their concern.

"What do you mean?"

Wolffe clenches his jaw but explains. "Nya would come to us when we needed help. She told us she was having nightmares about The Malevolence, but when we started back out we kriffing forgot! But she still came to help us and to talk to us whenever we needed. And we still didn't see it."

Nevo speaks up now. "If she didn't want you to know, it's highly unlikely that you would have. Based on the high levels of dipill in the Commander's bloodstream, she's been taking it consistently for at least the last month. Which means that the effectiveness would have worn off. So she continued upping the dose."

"You don't get it," Boost yells. "You weren't there, we were. Nya was the one who kept our spirits up in that escape pod simply because she never gave up hope that someone would find us. Yet we didn't see it. And we never thought to help her, even when she helped us."

Nevo keeps his mouth shut. He knows to hold his tongue right now. The clone survivors of The Malevolence are blaming themselves, and feeling guilty. The only person who will be able to convince them otherwise won't be able to tell them until she wakes up. And there's no telling when that will be.

Bo-Katan breaks the silence. "Can I see her?"

Nevo turns to face her. He nods, and says, "Of course, ma'am."

The baar'ur turns and walks with Bo into Nya's room. The doors close behind them, and as soon as Bo and Nevo can no longer see them, Wolffe sits down in one of the chairs for the first time since he arrived in the med bay. Wolffe places his head in his hands and rubs his face. For everyone who did not know how the clone commander felt about the Mandalorian Jedi, they did know that the two were good friends.

To most, it would appear as though a friend felt guilty about not noticing something about the woman who seemed to be his best friend. But to Wolffe, he really felt guilty about not noticing what was wrong with the woman who came into his life with a bright smile and a Mandalorian greeting. The woman who made him fondly smile and sigh in exasperation at the same time with her selflessness. The woman who created the very name that they go by. Wolfpack.