MY EXTRA LOSS

#WritcoStoryPrompt120
Write a story based on the phrase "You will realize a person's worth when they are gone."

I rested against the large steep walls, the huge carpeted halls scram of money. From the flashing light of the diamond themed chandelier to the shiny glazed wall, reflecting the light to a bare minimum. Pieces of clay caricatures and statues ran down the wall, a glass display covering some relic getting between the two once in a while. My large shoes' clack was muffled by the red carpet that flowed down to the dinning room.

A picture caught my eye and I turned. A family of three circled around a well tailored cushion. I could still remember the heavy scent of the fur of the artic fox of that day. Trying to get our family higher up the noble pedestal, we joined in in the monthly themed photoshoot. This one was about animals. Matching the white of the couch, my parents and I were dressed in a brownish white suit with pants. A thirteen year old sat at the centre, her face drawn in concentration and upkeeping of poise. I could still feel the memory of how I had managed to sit down so still. My honey brown eyes were slightly squinted.

For my father, his brown locks were slicked back glistening under the immense lighting of that day. His ocean blue eyes were bright and twinkling, his pink lips were curved up in a smile. Not the genuine one but the one that said, "I am better than you so, stay out of my way." My mother sat beside me, her honey brown eyes twinkling also. Her long black braids were tied up in a bun, prickles of pins and needles that had sunk itself into her braids. Her eyes sparkled in calculation. A friendly smile graced her features, just to cover her other thoughts.

Watching this picture, my lips curved downwards slightly. They'd left two years back and were involved in a crash. My heart boiled in anger as I reminisced. Two years and a half ago, I had met a boy whom I liked immensly. His name was Ashton. I had met the boy, a distance from the noble city school.

I had asked my driver to take a deserted road at the outskirts of town just to avoid any forced conversation I would have with any other self proclaimed brat. The car tire had busted thanks to some needles that had coated the road. As my driver was looking to replace the tire, we heard gun shots. I tried to call my parents or the police but the line didn't go through. There was no network.

As we continued to scramble for life, a guy around my age beckoned both of us over. As much as we would have both loved to decline, the gunshots were getting closer. So, we both rushed to meet him. He led us away through a tunnel that I hadn't seen. The tunnel led us back to the Nobles side of town. Both of us had profusely thanked him. I then insisted that he come to my house for tea, my driver, like my parents, was skeptical about the decision but gave in after my my mind was made up.

We ordered a cab which took us to my house. I could still remember how shocked he was. There I had gotten to know him considerably. A few hours before my parents arrived, he had left and I gave him money to take home a cab. My servants had taken the privilege to tell my parents first of what had taken place and they were angry.

They were blowing their tops about how nobles and peasants were not meant to co-exist. For some reason, I had the urge to protect him. "He just saved my life and I was just getting to know my salvation. You're talking as if I wanted to marry him."

"Because this is where scenarios such as these always leads to." And wanting to bend away from their never ending rules and demands, I began to see him in secret as friends. I had bribed the servant and just asked my driver to keep it as a secret, since he needed no coercing.

It was all fun and laughs. He introduced into a world beyond the four corners of money and rules but one where love ruled. He introduced me to his parents whom were sweet and kind, tolerating my talkativeness. He introduced me to a world where I could finally revel in what I had instead of repressing it. There was a day I had looked into his forest green eyes and felt my stomach twist into knots. We began dating soon after that. Of course, sooner or later my parents found out and they were beyond angry.