INTO THE SHADOW REALM

Belle stared at the white high vaulted ceiling, the warm light from the candles on the chandelier above illuminated the room, extinguishing the dark forms that formed behind objects. Her hazel eyes trailed around the room, tearing past the wide vintage walk in wardrobe brimmed with priceless mirrors and clothes that were out of this world to carpeted floors sown in with the finest of velvet silk. The smell of tea filled the air, reminding her of the tea cup that laid at the floor of her queen sized bed, just underneath the lavender drapes, discarded. The sleeping herbs that had become a regularity in her tea had yet to bring forth fruit like the maid that had failed to collect the tea cup away, already getting irritated at the clutter of the teacup that somehow blotched where it sat on the floor.

Sitting up straight with sleep no where in sight, Belle rose her left hand to the thin rope that dangled a little distance from where she lay on her bed with the mind of calling that maid to fire her. The howling wind slashed at the window, breaking the anger that threatened to spill out on the poor maid she had made an effort to send for. Belle's eyes strayed to the window which was usually hidden away by a thin lilac curtain which was now twirled to the side. It sat directly behind a velvet sofa which stood a little distance from the bed, up a couple of carpeted steps and was also enclosed in a similitude of drapes which formed an alcove.

Belle noticed the snow that strapped the glass, white snowflakes wiping down its length as the pelting snow continued steadfastly with the wind whipping harshly.

I hope father returns home safely.

The king had yet to return from the Dreoleon kingdom for the peace treaty, Belle wandered whether her extra anxiety stemmed from the memory of what had occurred when her father had left on an outing a few years ago. Belle managed a calming breath, trying to shut out the scary thoughts that sought passage into her mind. Allowing a hand to push back a dark ringlet that fell right beside her cheek, she lay back down. Belle shut her eyelids, forcing herself to give into sleep. Chills crept up her spine at the refusal for herself to surrender to the abyss of sleep. Her eyes cracked open again at the sound of a hollow thump, her eyes snapped to the side looking for forms that didn't belong. Although she didn't show it, her heart pounded hard in her chest and the smallest slither of sweat broke down her neck.

"I need more tea, that's it." She sat up straight once again and as she was about to take hold of the rope, a couple of knocks came from the window. Her heart leapt in her throat, her eyes narrowing despite the clench of the sheets in her pale hands. A flash whipped through her mind, a burly man with a huge amount of body hair with the official sigil, a grand star, of the kingdom of Aui sticking out like a sore thumb in his pitch black coat. Sweat now pulled down her back faster as her mind was pushed back in a hurry down the dark dusty lane. He had come in the dead of the night after her father had left the castle to one of the neighboring dutchies in the east, seeking to restore balance to the war ridden place. Belle remembered how she had sat on the bed, poring over her new dress designs that she was sure her father would applaud when he returned then the assassin had come in through the window. How he had entered she was still yet to discover. With a sword sharper than any she had ever seen, he had crept up to her, slashing her arm within the blink of an eye.

Her heart dropped. Belle remembered how an agonizing scream of pain had escaped her throat, filling the hall with the tormenting gutteral noise. The blood had splattered her carefully drawn notes, her eyes blurring from the pain that made her hunch over. If not for the loyal knight that had decided to patrol the king's quarters that very night, she would have been dead. Her eyes swelled up as she fingered her arm which was hidden away in the tarps of silk that formed her night dress but she could almost see through to the stitches that held the large gash together.

Belle gulped again. Another set of knocks emanated from the window, glass tapping faintly through her ears. Blood began to pound rapidly, her dainty fingers trembling as she forced herself to breathe normally. The tapping grew louder, forcing a surge of trepidation down her body. Belle tugged at the other rope at her right and immediately five soldiers from her personal guard swooped into the room, arms drawn to the black hilt of their curved double edged swords. Each of them wore plain black leather tunics with matching dark tights, emblazoned with the sigil of their kingdom which was the golden sun. The tallest man of the group whom had white hair, his wrinkled and scarred gaunt face having seen better days looked towards her. In a rough voice he asked,