Thirty-four

A little over two weeks have passed since Annabella went to get the kids from Alex's parents house. The day of the party was approaching. Annabella phoned Penny.

"Hi, Penny. Could you watch the kids tonight and tomorrow?" She asked.

"Tomorrow's Christmas, are you sure you want me to watch them on Christmas?"

"Yes, I'm going to a party at your son's house." Annabella responded, "and I don't trust anyone else except for you."

"Did you get them presents? If you did then you should probably bring them over if you think you won't be stable enough to watch them yourselves." Penny said, "they can stay for however long you need, Anna."

"Thank you and I'm packing them up now. Alex might take them between New Years and Christmas, I still have to figure that out with him."

"Okay, yeah whenever you do, just make sure you tell me."

Annabella hung up the phone, "Cillian? Are you ready?"

Cillian entered the room, he was wearing a black cardigan and blue jeans, "yes. I'm a little excited to meet Alex."

"You'd be surprised, he's a nice guy."

"And you're other friends, too." He added, shoving his hands in the pockets of his jeans.

Annabella wore a sweater and sweatpants, she turned to finish doing her makeup in the mirror.

"Mum, are we going, yet?" Complained Charlie.

"Soon, just another minute!" Annabella shouted, "I think Alex invited my sister. And god knows who she invited."

Cillian sighed, he walked behind her and placed an arm around her neck, "I won't let anything happen to you. Not again." He put his lips on her neck.

"I'm inviting you so I don't feel so alone."

He smiled, "and so you don't get assaulted."

"I'm hoping she stopped being friends with Grant, but if she hasn't then I hope he isn't at the party."

"Yeah... well you did everything you could with your sister and her friends." He turned on his heel and walked out of the bathroom.

Annabella finished up with her make up and made her way down the stairs, "you'll stay with your grandparents for a few days, okay?"

"Okay mum." Charlie said.

"Come on, let's head out." She helped Charlie put her scarf on. And she grabbed her keys and a box. That had the presents in them, but she'd told her children that it was something she was going to give to Penny.

Cillian sat in the passenger seat, he gripped the outside of the frame of the jeep.

Annabella parked the car and rang the doorbell, Charlie and Daniel entered the house. She handed Penny the presents after telling her that it was the presents for her kids.

She walked back to the car and started, "Annabella, what if Grant, Michael and Nico are there?"

"I'll try not to let them ruin my evening and I'll try to avoid them." She said as they drove.

They reached Alex's house in ten minutes, her old home was plastered right in front of her face. Uncertainty filled her face as she pushed the door open.

"Annabella." Cillian called out to her, "if you don't want to go in, no hard feelings from me."

She grabbed the plate of food from the backseat, "it's okay. I already made some food. Let's just... go in." She said hesitantly.