Thirty-nine

"What?" He stood with a half eaten sandwich in his hand in the hallway to the kitchen.

"You scared the livin' shit out of me!" She shoved his shoulder as she walked past him.

He followed her to the kitchen, "Annabella, you never gave me a key. What was I supposed to do? I knocked and rang the doorbell, no one answered, then I finally gave up and climbed in through a window."

"At least close the bloody window next time." Annabella sighed.

"That would've made it worse. Seeing me just... standing in your house."

Annabella leaned against the island, sighing, "yeah probably."

"Where were you?"

"Does that matter? What the hell are you doin' here?"

Cillian bit into the sandwich, "my ex-wife is taking our son on vacation next week and the week after, so I have those weeks to be with you."

"That's very nice of you, but I have a wedding I have to get to."

"Where? When? Who?"

"In six days, in New York City and it's my sister."

"The one who's an asshole. And who will be marrying an asshole."

"Don't talk about my sister like that, Cillian, but yes to the second one."

"When do you fly out?"

"Tomorrow, morning, early. I got an extra ticket just in case, don't worry about it."

"Were you expecting me to be here?"

"No." Annabella gasped, "Of course I wasn't. I thought you would come back tomorrow morning and I'd be long gone. How long were you in my damn house?"

"Twenty minutes, thirty minutes, I got bored after a little bit so I made myself a sandwich."

"Fuckin' hell, mate, you scared me." She pushed his shoulder, "I'm going to bed, finish your sandwich and join me, we have to be up quite early."

"How early?"

"Five in the morning for a seven o'clock flight."

He groaned, "seriously, it's almost midnight."

"At least the flight's long, love. We'll have plenty of time to sleep on each other's shoulders on the plane."

***

It was a long eight hour flight from London and New York City, both Annabella and Cillian fell asleep at different times. When the flight landed, Annabella was awake, she nudged Cillian awake. His eyes slowly opened and they both stood up, Annabella grabbed her backpack and got out of her seat once the plane had parked at the gate.

Cillian grabbed his back and the pair walked through customs and down to the baggage claim. There was already baggage on the conveyor. Annabella spotted her light blue suitcase, she took it off the conveyor and walked with Cillian out of the airport, "I still need to find a suit." He said.

"We'll find you one." Annabella answered, as they walked, making it to the hotel where all the guests would be staying. Annabella put her suitcase down, opened it and pulled out the dress, "what do you think of the dress?"

"Is it within the dress code?" He asked, looking at the silky blue dress that she was holding.

Annabella nodded, "all the people in the bridal party are meant to wear blue, so yes."

"Okay then, it looks perfect from over here. I see nothing wrong with the dress." Cillian said, as he took a step towards her, "what am I supposed to wear?"