Chapter 17

Riley's POV

"So you've been extra happy lately." Nadia teases as she's sipping her coffee on my couch.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Where were you last night?" Emily asks.

I look down to my laptop and continue typing, "Out."

"You were at Carter's weren't you?"

"What's with all the questions?" I groan.

"It's just that we've never seen you be this head over heels over someone." Nadia replies.

"I'm not head over heels."

Emily chuckles, "Yes you are you let your guard down pretty quick."

"Carter isn't dangerous. I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be able to hurt a fly." I reply trying to justify why I've been so careless recently.

Usually I'm more careful with the people I let into my life. Specially around Maya. But I can't help it that when I'm near that woman my heart starts beating a million times per second.

"They're still looking for you though. I love Carter don't get me wrong she seems like a fun person and I love that you like her but it never hurts to be too careful." Nadia replies.

I sigh and finally look up from my laptop, "I know and if anything happens I'll take care of it."

Emily rolls her eyes, "You and I both know we cant stop them."

I close the laptop and put it on the coffee table, "My uncle won't be a problem."

"Riley you know exactly who's she talking about and it's not your uncle." Nadia says.

"The Xaviers also won't be a problem."

Nadia sits up which indicates that this conversation is about to get serious and I hate that. I don't want to be talking about this because I have no plans that could help us. I don't know how to stop them.

"I don't understand why you didn't just kill her."

"We have talked about this a million times."

Emily groans, "No we always ask you and you never answer."

"You weren't there." I slightly raise my voice, "You didn't see how that woman ran to her protecting her with her body."

"So what?" Nadia also raises her voice, "You could have killed them both."

I take a deep breath to calm myself down, "Nadia that family will go to the grave for each other. Killing Kai Xavier's daughter would have not solved anything."

"She's right they would have came at us harder." Emily agrees with me.

Nadia still doesn't look convinced though, "Who was that other girl anyway?"

I shrug my shoulder, "I don't know. I know the daughter is in a relationship so I'm guessing that was the girlfriend. There's no pictures of her anywhere though and I honestly don't even really remember what she looks like."

"After 3 years I still don't understand why they're coming after you. You didn't even kill the daughter."

I sigh, "I almost killed that man though."

"Who the fuck cares." Emily this time raises her voice, "He was just a regular guard I'm sure they could get over that."

"He's not."

"What?" Both Nadia and Emily say at the same time.

"I don't think he was just a guard." This is the first I'm admitting it. I get why they're coming after me I shot at the daughter of a mafia leader that's one of the reasons but I think the other is that man.