Eleven

"You'll do great, Arthur," Calysta cheered for him. Arthur stood inside Calysta's room because he wanted to visit her before his big duel. Calysta knew it was useless to tell Arthur to be aware of Valiant's shield since he still planned on using it. "I have complete faith in you."

"Thank you, Callie," he said before reaching toward his neck to hold up Calysta's necklace. "I'll fight as if you're down there watching. No doubt you would mock me if I lose."

Calysta let out a dramatic gasp as she placed her hand over her heart. "I - I will do no such thing!" Arthur raised his brow as he tucked the necklace away. "Ok, maybe I would. But you do the same if it were me."

"No, I would congratulate your victor and shake their hand...a little too tight for their liking."

"Oh, my hero," she said sarcastically before smiling. "This reminds me of one of the villager's stories of the brave hero, Galavant."

Arthur does remember Calysta rushing into his chambers to retell the story. "Didn't he used to sing about him?"

"He did." Calysta cleared her throat before she sang. "Way back in days of old. There was a legend told. About a hero known as Galavant." Arthur nodded as he remembered the song, yet he couldn't quite understand why their father didn't want them to see the villager again. "Square jaw and perfect hair. Cojones out to there. There was no hero quite like Galavant!"

Now Arthur remembered. "And this is why Father forbade you to see that villager again. The man was a nutcase."

"But his stories were so interesting. Especially when he sings them."

"And you were ten when he was singing them to you, which Father and I found inappropriate."

"You did not."

Arthur held his head up high. "I did. I just didn't want to upset you."

"Well, how about this...for your final duel, Valiant is the cowardly King Richard while you, dear brother, are the brave and noble Galavant. You go out there and fight for Madalena's heart, in this case, Morgana's."

"Didn't Madalena dump Galavant for the fortune?"

Calysta grabbed Arthur's shoulders and said, "I'm trying to give you confidence. And to give you a reason to win."

"You say that as if I'm going to lose."

"You won't because I believe in you." She pulled Arthur into her arms. "Be careful, Arthur."

"Always am." He kissed the side of her head. "I'll come by and pick you up before the feast. Don't embarrass me."

"No promises made."

》》》》

Calysta watched the tournament from her windowsill. Arthur and Valiant tapped swords before they got into their fighting position. Calysta began biting her nails as she watched them attempt to knock the other's sword out of their hands.

"Where are you, Merlin?" she couldn't help but wonder. She hasn't heard from Merlin all night and she started to worry. Sure, Merlin said he was going to find a way to expose Valiant but that didn't stop all the worst possibilities that came to her mind about him. What if Valiant caught him? What if he killed him? What if he's injured somewhere? Calysta jumped when Valiant almost struck Arthur. When Arthur fought back, she cheered. "Go, Arthur!" Somehow, her eyes managed to find Merlin, who was standing away from the stands. "Merlin!"

At this point, Calysta was leaning so far forward from her windowsill that it almost looked like she was about to fall out the window. But the anticipation was killing her. She wanted to run down and tackle Valiant to the ground while Merlin exposes him. Calysta nearly jumped when Valiant thrust his shield toward Arthur's as he tried to swing at him. Arthur did block him but it only made Valiant angry, which sends him into a frenzy. Valiant kept trying to get closer to Arthur by swinging his sword without stopping. Arthur managed to attack back before he knocked Valiant's helmet off, it made Calysta cheer.

Things were more serious when Arthur removed his helmet and that got the crowd more rallied up. Valiant smirked before he attacked Arthur again. He stepped on Arthur's foot before using his shield to uppercut him. Arthur's eyes practically rolled to the back of his head as he collapsed. Valiant screamed as he tried to stab Arthur, but Arthur moved and swung his sword to avoid the hit. Valiant tried again and this time Arthur rolled out of the way before he got stabbed.

"That's a dirty trick!" Calysta shouted, even though no one would hear her.

Arthur quickly stood. Valiant licked his lips before he went to strike again. He managed to kick Arthur's sword out of his hands and swung again. Arthur, however, got close and grabbed Valiant's wrists. Valiant pushed Arthur back and pinned him to the pillar. Arthur knocked Valiant off him just as Merlin began to enchant Valiant's shield.

Arthur stood there frozen as the snakes slowly began to come out of the shield. Valiant was confused and glanced down.

"What are you doing?" he asked the snakes. "I didn't summon you."

"He s using magic," Uther sneered. "Callie was right."

"And now they see you for who you really are," Arthur told Valiant, who was glancing at the shocked/angry crowd.

Calysta smiled. "Merlin did it," she breathed happily. Her eyes widened then the snakes jumped out of the shield as Valiant ordered them to kill Arthur. They hissed at him while they bared their fangs. Fear washed over Calysta. Her hands gripped the ledge, unknowingly as her eyes changed color. "ARTHUR!"

It was as though a shockwave submerged from the ground and went toward the snakes. They halted their movements. Their bodies slithered from side to side, which confused Merlin. It was like Merlin had this calming feeling in the pit of his stomach. He felt much lighter than before, more soothed. He scanned the crowd but a small tether had him look toward the castle. His eyes found Calysta's. She wasn't looking at him, though. Her eyes were solely on Arthur and the snakes. What surprised him was the fact that her eyes were bright gold.

"Arthur!" Morgana shouted before tossing Arthur a new sword. He quickly grabbed it and slit the snakes' heads off.

Twirling his sword, Arthur went to attack Valiant. They clashed swords until Arthur maneuvered Valiant's sword out of the way before he pierced Valiant's heart with his sword.

"Looks like I'll be going to the feast after all," Arthur snarled before dropping Valiant's body.

Calysta let out a breath she didn't even realize she was holding as the crowd cheered.

Once again, Arthur is the champion.

》》》》

Calysta waited patiently for Arthur. She smoothed out her dress for the feast until she heard a knock on the door.

"Enter," she said. To her utmost surprise, Uther walked into her room with a box in his hands. Calysta quickly bowed. "Father." She stood straight. "I heard about Arthur's accomplishment. I would say I'm surprised but that would be a lie." She noticed the quick glance Uther gave toward her scar. "Is something the matter, Father?"

He sighed. "Seems you were right. Valiant was using magic. I should have believed you."

She knew well this was Uther's way of an apology without him actually saying it. Uther's too proud of himself to admit if he's ever wrong. "I didn't have enough evidence for my allegations. I wouldn't have believed me either." She held her hands together. "Is that all, Father? Arthur should be arriving soon. Maybe we can all go to the feast together."

"I'll be the one escorting you," Uther admitted. "Perhaps you can sing on the way there. It's been far too long since I've heard you sing."

Calysta smiled. "I would love to, Father."

"Before we go, I have something for you." He held the box in front of her. "Go ahead, open it."

Calysta furrowed her brows before accepting the box. It felt a little heavy but it wasn't a small enough box to be some kind of jewelry. "What is i -" Once she opened the box, she immediately screamed and almost dropped it. "Ahh!"

She screamed in fear but Uther thought it was a scream of happiness. Inside the box was a snake that was slithering around. "You said you wanted a snake."

"I did," Calysta mentally scolded herself. She set the box on her bed. "I love it," she lied.

Why did I have to say a snake?

》》》》

A/N: I don't remember much from it, but did anyone else watch Galavant?