day three pt. one - i lost

you smile as you type in your reply to jimin's text.

pjm: hey you, i was thinking we should catch up after all that's happened. let's catch a movie and head to the arcade with jungkook? just like the old times!!

y/n: sure! i'll let jungkook know

pjm: i already told him, haha. i'll pick you up around seven?

y/n: okie, sure! thanks min ❣️

you click your phone off with a smile, but it soon falters when your thoughts stray.

where does this leave us? what are we?

"jesus fucking christ, i can't think straight." you mutter under your breath before calling a certain blonde.

"what do you want, loser?" yerim asks as soon as she picks her phone up.

"yerim?" you ask to which she replies with a snort, "no, santa- yes, it's yerim, what the fuck? are you high?? i'm usually the one calling you— oh my god are you actually high?? jesus y/n, it's only nine, who the hell are you with—"

"yerim!" you interrupt, getting her attention.

"yes, present. we've talked about this."

"jimin's back." you say hesitantly, unsure.

"..."

"..."

"oh hell no."

"yerim—"

"nope, NO. we are not letting a son of a bi—"

"yerim—"

"—tch walk into your life again, i mean, i know i act like i hate you and shit but really i'm the president of your protection squad and—"

"yerim please—"

"—i refuse to let him waltz in back into your life after what he did and that's that."

"..."

"okay, i'm done."

"what i was trying to say, is that it wasn't his fault. it's a long story so settle in, hoe."

ten long minutes later and another two of silence before yerim softly lets out a "damn."

you chuckle, "damn indeed."

"so, where does that leave you guys?" she asks, curious.

"i... genuinely don't know. but i guess i'll to spend some time with him to find out?"

"yeah well, be careful, okay babe?"

"i will, thanks yerim. love you."

"aw shucks, maybe i love you too."

—  

jungkook checks his watch, frowning at the gnawing feeling in his stomach. his frown only deepens when he catches sight of jimin and you laughing hand in hand. at least, he assumes you're laughing. he can't hear it, he can't hear anything. save for the sound of his heart breaking.

weak.

jungkook is absolutely weak for you.

despite the pain he feels in his chest, he smiles. like how he usually does, like how he did back then.

"kookie!" jimin approachs him, pinching his cheeks.

jungkook whines, pushing the elder's hands away.

"hey jeon, bumper cars?" you challenge, raising your eyebrows.

jungkook tilts his head up and closes his eyes as if in prayer, "here comes the sweet, sweet revenge."

and sweet revenge it is, because jeon jungkook comes out victorious.

but.

"hey, what's wrong? you won!" you ask, chuckling as you did so.

jungkook can only gaze into your eyes, smiling sadly.

but i lost. because i fell for you.

—  

always from afar.

from afar, jimin has always seen the way he looked at her, the way he looked at her then, the way he looks at her now.

i'm so sorry, jungkook.