Chapter 2 - ''From 'mine' to 'ours''' - Him

Hearing Beth speak caused his stomach to tighten. He had been stuck in a trance thinking about what to say to her. What could he? He certainly couldn't just explain the truth.

He kept his mouth shut as he continued to take her up to the entrance of his home. Once they were inside he couldn't think of a better way to start a conversation than the same move a good host would make naturally; "do you want a drink?"

Beth blinked and looked at him, taken aback. He gestured to the very extensive bar that he had in what he used as his game room for hosting and entertaining guests. It seemed as though Beth was rooted to the spot. He realised he needed to start right from the very beginning if he was going to earn her trust.

"My name is Ronan."

She seemed to soften the tiniest bit but still seemed uneasy, understandably, he thought, but he really wished she would take him up on his offer.

"How about you pour your own drink?"

This seemed to get her attention. She started walking slowly towards him and his heart rate picked up a little. She was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen and he was nervous. As she cautiously made her way in his direction he simply watched her. Her fluffy golden brown hair, a dusting of freckles all over her face but condensed across her nose and under her eyes, eyes somehow golden with green suns, a shiny but simple nose ring, and glasses that were subtle yet perfectly complimented all that light brown pigmentation.

She was suddenly very close to him, and he noticed himself holding his breath as she passed him and continued towards the bar. He watched as she made for the vodka and mixed it with cranberry juice. He followed and poured himself a glass of whisky after asking her to take a seat in one of the armchairs by the fireplace in the room.

Before taking his own seat he knew he needed to say something very uncomfortable. "Before anything else; I know you have a cell phone and I would like to know whether you have a laptop or anything else in your bag. I'm going to need all of your electronic devices."

Her gaze lingered on him for just a moment before retrieving both her phone and her MacBook and showing him her bag, although he barely glanced inside. She had shown barely any expression on her face and she hadn't spoken a word since introducing herself. Ronan hated not knowing what Beth was thinking.

Satisfied with the completion of this task, Ronan went to take his seat across from the girl whose future he held in his hands. Beth simply held her drink in both hands looking at him, and to his surprise she spoke.

"I wouldn't say anything, you know, to the cops or anyone."

At this Ronan felt a stab of guilt but replied, "it's too late now. I am sorry this is how it had to be, but the house is yours now too. You are free to explore as long as you do not enter any rooms I keep locked." He saw Beth turn her head slightly down at this and felt even more guilty. "I don't want to make you feel like a prisoner, I want you to be as comfortable here as you can be. You just must understand that I couldn't allow you to leave after what happened."

Ronan's nerves were only increasing, he was growing extremely aware of the fact that he had no idea what she was thinking or how she was feeling and he hated this uneasiness inside of him caused by that lack of knowledge. He wanted her to know more too, he really wasn't looking for a prisoner in her.

"I'm sure you have a million questions?"

Beth looked up at him, eyes slightly wide."How can you afford this house and those cars?"

"I do business, I am a supplier of many high-value goods."

"Alright then, what about tonight?"

Ronan stood up and faced into the fireplace, his face darkened and he put his hands behind his back. "That was an old business partner. He tried too hard to sell me another type of... good." Although it was clear from his body language that whatever it was, there was nothing good about it. "Something vile, inhumane, and cruel. I insisted that I would never deal with such business but he persisted so... I threatened him. One thing led to another, and you saw what happened."