Chapter 10

Naruto woke early the next morning, routine slotting into place as he got up with rumpled too large shirt, hair in its equal, crusted drool on his chin and a haze over his eyes. Still, he got up as usual rather intent on waking- an odd decision for him as he was most certainly one who hated mornings. On his mind however was how rather pensive, even distressed his husband had been last night, it had been uncomfortable to see the controlled man in such a state. Thus he wanted to do something special for the man as a small surprise, and perhaps for himself. The selfish want of his husband's smile -small though it may be would serve to comfort his own straining and taring mind.

However in having exiting the bed he noticed he had been the only one to be in the bed- his brows furrowed for a moment. He dressed then and left the bedroom to find his astray bed partner. Finding him to be at the table staring a little mystique at his phone. Thin lips and morose expression casting over his eyes with a sharp shadow. With yesterday still fresh in his mind Naruto could only fathom it to be the root of the dour aura, forgoing his plans he instead sat at the table across from his husband and leant over the surface with his arms crossed. Waiting for acknowledgement, though its mildest form came as the man's eyes rested on him- their red glint prominent underneath their deep indigo colour. Madara said nothing for several calm and contemplative moments. However it was a letter next to him, manilla and in contrast to the wood tabletop, it had been opened and as Madara slid the unfolded letter beside it to him with no word spoken. It was odd in its own way and Naruto did cast him a confused glance for it, nevertheless he pulled it forward.

A surprise to hear from you again after 10 years of silence. Interesting to watch your career flourish in the military. With your escape I did not expect you to dive back in to your old ways. Well, I'm sure you have your reasons. It is a surprise in itself you managed to keep yourself so hidden for so long as is. Nevertheless your return will be well welcomed amongst those who lived while you lead. Family being what it is I suppose.

To answer your question: Yes the assistant has taken the leading role, as everything in this business is, the circumstances are complicated. Shortly spoken, him and weasel had a personal argument which had the latter step away from the role, and now theres a duality in the clan. I wouldn't say split loyalties necessarily, rather an uncertainty. Your line does command loyalty among the family, even if there are disagreements in method. It will be assuring to have reliable leadership instead of this ridiculous tug of war occuring.

The weasel maintains a presence in the south district: 2LC@9#342.

I would advice candour black kite.

~ Scarecrow

Naruto stared in much confusion for several long moments, re-reading twice to make certain he made no mistake as to the phrasing. When understanding he hadn't he stared at his husband for several silent moment, his gaze much the same in intensity as the other man. Blue glinted as cold ice in serious evaluation as they both made serious evaluation of each other. Naruto measured himself in his mind, he measured the man afore him, the man he loved and reckoned with himself with all he knew of Madara. From interpretation to implication, he closed his eyes eventually breathing through his nose giving in to his own doubts, holding back from showing what the clog in his throat meant. Was the showcasing of the letter to him intended to act as a confession? If so Naruto was near wishing he couldn't comprehend it. Did Madara know he did? He stared once more at his husband hoping for a denial- a shake of the head, a smirk to the joke- he gained neither, only the letter being pulled away from him with scarred fingertips.

Madara stood and Naruto remained sat at the table tracing the indentations and patterns with his eyes. He wished for a sound to break the silence, but Madara seemed determined to complete the room with nothing and there was indeed nothing. His feet made no sound as he walked towards their bedroom, the door did not make its common clicking noise as he opened it, not even the sound of breathing came from the man as he had walked past. Naruto sat back in the chair, feeling suddenly heavy, the feeling of fog in his head as he tapped his finger against the table. He didn't know what to do, and in reality he wanted to simply be sixteen again in the comfort of his husband's presence, ignorant of everything he was beginning to understand.