25 Years Later

October, 2021: Oberlin, Ohio

Nicole filled a cup of water from the tap, just enough to quench her thirst before getting on with her day. She stood and took a couple sips of the beverage while looking out of the kitchen window, still dressed in her pyjamas. The only thing she could see were other stores that lined the street and the road of course but the trees she could see were almost fully orange, the leaves falling all on their own and sprinkling the concrete below. Nicole smiled softly as she saw the sight.

A shuffling sound caught her attention, causing her to look towards the noise. Her bedroom door.

When she looked towards the door, Nicole saw her wife in a blur almost. She was gunning for the bathroom while holding her face, slamming the door before retching. Nicole immediately placed the cup down and rushed to the bathroom, opening the door to see her wife kneeling in front of the toilet, her hair the same colour as the leaves outside falling over her face.

Nicole went behind her wife and took her hair into a ponytail to get it out of her face.

"It's okay baby. Let it out" Nicole comforted, rubbing the redhead's back. After emptying the small amount of contents she had left in her system, her wife started trying to stand up and Nicole backed off, letting go of her silky hair gently.

"You alright, Van?" Nicole asked, standing up and holding a hand out to help Van up.

"Right as rain" Van replied, clearing her throat before turning the tap on and grabbing her pills from the cabinet. Nicole nodded, she knew that this was just going to be the new normal and it has been for weeks but she was still anxious about it.

"I will make some breakfast okay?" Nicole proposed, rubbing Van's back again as she washed her face. Van nodded in response and Nicole kissed her reddened cheek before leaving to go back to the kitchen.

Nicole heard the shower running as she first started mixing the batter for pancakes. She knew Van preferred to have something sweet in the mornings, which was proven by the amount of times Van would take a trip to the cafe across the street for a donut and coffee for breakfast. Now what was different today was that Nicole had actually woken up before Van and was able to make breakfast for them both. The redhead had always been stressed about the video store and their financial situation so she would open really early, leaving Nicole somewhat alone in the space above the store.

Van's shower seemed to be short as the water stopped when Nicole started cooking the pancakes.

——

With the last few pancakes in the pan, Nicole felt arms snake around her waist and Van's familiar fragrance that smelled of jasmine and citrus invaded Nicole's nose, causing her to grin instantly, flipping the last batch of pancakes.

"Breakfast smells so good, Nic" Van smiled and gave Nicole's neck a small kiss as she watched Nicole start putting them on a plate with the other cooked pancakes, her chin resting on Nicole's shoulder but backed away, remembering to make some tea since she knew Nicole despised coffee.