Memories

July, 2001: New Jersey

Nicole watched Van from Van's stripped down bed as she packed. Van had told her that she was moving to Ohio to start a new life and Nicole was starting to get anxious. Nicole tapped Van's shoulder, gaining her girlfriends' attention, Van looked towards Nicole with a confused expression.

"What about me?" Nicole signed, she was still not able to talk after everything that happened. Van smiled softly at Nicole.

"I wouldn't mind a visit or two" she replied out loud, continuing to pack before looking back at Nicole, seeing if she had an answer from the brunette.

"What? We're breaking up? Just friends now? Long distance never works," Nicole signed back, her motions sharp almost like she's yelling but Van knew she wouldn't yell at her.

"Of course not! I want you to come with me but I can't ask you that. And I have faith that we would stay together if we did go long distance," Van responded, pushing her hair back with her hand as she looked at Nicole who was still sitting on the bed. Nicole stood and looked up at the slightly taller girl.

"I'm going with you," Nicole motioned, her face showing a look of 'it's plain and simple' Van shook her head slightly, a small frown on her face.

"No. I can't just take you with me, Nic. It's not fair to you. You need to get better" Van insisted, crossing her arms and Nicole's face had a look of betrayal.

"You help me feel good, Van. I'm sorry but I can't let you go. I'm going" Nicole signed, determination painted across her features now. Van wanted Nicole to stay so she didn't regret living with Van.

"I'm not going to let you. Please, Nic. It's for the best. I don't want to break up. Fuck, you're the best person that's ever been in my whole life. But knowing your thoughts on long distance seems unfair, it seems you don't want to take a chance on us, Nic" Van spoke clearly as she looked to her boxes, visibly disappointed. Van usually didn't win these arguments due to Nicole being so stubborn but Van was putting her foot down.

"I want to stay together but two states away? That's impossible." Nicole pleaded with her gaze as she looked at Van's wandering eyes. The redhead was reluctant to look at her, tears welling up in her own eyes.

"I really don't think it is but if it's so unthinkable, maybe we should break up." Van swallowed thickly after the quiet statement, realizing what she just said. Nicole froze, her face a mix of shock and sadness. Her eyes fluttered shut and she sighed, Nicole left Van standing in the middle of her room.

"Shit." Van hung her head and wiped her eyes dry before sniffling. Van shook her head slightly and continued packing, regretting what she had said to her girlfriend - now ex most likely.

——

Nicole ran up the stairs into her room, avoiding her parents. She slammed her door and leaned against it, breathing deeply as she contemplated what to do.