Chuuya Nakahara

Dazai and I finally arrived in front of our class after a rather irritated conversation. I had to let Dazai walk in before me so he could give the teacher the hall pass we got from the creepy nurse. The old grey-haired man quickly read it over and gesture for the two of us to sit down after quietly introducing himself as Mr. Hirotsu to me.

It wasn't until I sat down in between Dazai and Tachihara that I realized the period we were in. Reading and Literature. Mr. Hirotsu walked around the classroom and placed a copy of some old book on every student's desk.

"Has anyone read 'Raging Camelia' before?" he asked.

So that's the title.

Nobody responded. I'm assuming no one has read it. Mr. Hirotsu nodded.

"Alright then" he said, holding up his own copy "We are going to read this as a class, and once a week there will be a short quiz on what you've read. I will not object to reading ahead, I only expect that everyone be up to speed with the rest of the class"

I stared at my book and made several attempts to swallow the lump forming in my throat.

'It'll be okay' I told myself 'The teacher's gonna read, and I've just gotta follow along in my head'

"Who would like to start us off?"

We're reading?

Nobody volunteered.

"No one?" he asked "Very well, I'll pick someone myself"

I shrunk in my seat to make myself less visible. Anything to make sure he doesn't-

"How about our new student?"

Pick...me.

"Chuuya was it?"

I nodded.

"Why don't you start by reading the first chapter?"

I nodded again and slowly opened the book with shaky hands. I tried to concentrate on the words in front of me while holding back the burning in my eyes.

"Chuuya?" Mr. Hirotsu interrupted my mild breakdown, causing me to snap my head up.

"Is everything alright?" he asked quietly, kneeling down in front of my desk.

I took a deep breath and decided to throw away my pride.

"I-it's just that-"

"I'll read first"

My head shot in the direction of the voice on my right. Dazai sat upright with his hand raised slightly in the air.

"Chuuya's a little overwhelmed because it's his first day at such a big school" he said, just barely loud enough for the teacher to understand without the rest of the class overhearing.

Mr. Hirotsu nodded and gestured for Dazai to continue. Dazai finished the first chapter of the book, reading so quickly that it seemed his brain didn't even need to register the words before he spoke. There were no pauses for longer words or fumbling over pronunciations. His tongue never got tied and his reading was never delayed, not even when he turned the page.

Needless to say I was a little jealous.

The teacher picked three more people to read the next few chapters before the final bell rang, signaling the end of the school day. I quickly shoved the book into my bag and slung it over my shoulder. I stood up and rushed out the door with the rest of my classmates.

Before I could make it out the door all the way, I felt someone grab my wrist. I turned around swinging my other hand up, only for it to be caught by a familiar hand.