Chapter Thirty Nine

Zayen

Alara steps closer to me. She shifts nervously, looking like she fears that someone in the crowd might jump out and attack her.

As if I'd ever stand by and let that happen.

They are looking at us strangely. I have never seen them gather here like this in all my years. Maybe once, at the birth of Nawaz, but I'm quite sure the Hakeem did not just have another child.

Or maybe he did.

Inside, there are men that I used to see dining with the Hakeem. They all look towards Nawaz with sadness. There's a dullness to the place, that is certainly not coming from the gold-lined furniture.

Once we're lead inside the room where the Hakeem meets, I expect to see him there.

Instead, there is a letter lying on his low desk.

I take it, straightening to read it.

Welcome home,

This must all feel confusing. My daughter asked for my help, and I always do my job to the fullest.

Your Hakeem is gone.

The kids and Aaliya are safe. Aaliya returned to her home.

Maybe the kingdom will be better now, with a new ruler. It was wrong of me to think of Aleamiq as perfect and this land as criminal. It is not so simple.

Let's work together to make both kingdoms better.

Inshallah.

"He's dead. The Hakeem's dead." I push the paper towards Nawaz, then turn to Alara. "Is your moms name Aaliya?" She nods. "She's safe and at home."

Looking back at Nawaz, he looks shell shocked. His fingers tighten on the paper, causing it to crumple slightly. "This isn't how it was supposed to happen. I had questions. I had to know why." Frustration rolls off him in waves. It'll take time for him to process it. For everyone to process it.

Footsteps approach, the high ceilings make them echo, and Ali comes into view. "Yallah! I thought you'd slipped and drowned in a puddle! Here you are."

I immediately embrace Ali an he highs me back with the same amount of force.

Pulling back, my face in serious. "The Hakeem is really . . . ?"

"A pile of bones? Well, not quite yet but give his body some time."

"We need to get everything in order. Let me speak to my brother. We discussed a plan, but I guess it went differently."

"Your brother?" He looks at me strangely.

"Oh, yes. Nawaz and I. But where are the kids? Are they still here?"

"They're upstairs. First—" I don't even let him finish, already running towards the polished stairs.

The door slides open and Saad and Aya sit playing with little little clay toys on the bed.

They healthier and they seem older, even though Aya still has her squishy cheeks.

My shoulders relax as soon as I see them, my knees giving in and hitting the ground. They're alive. They're safe. I didn't want to let myself get my hopes up until I saw it for myself.

"Ba!" Aya calls and nearly face plants climbing off the bed.

They both run into my arms and a tear falls down my cheek when I wrap them in my arms. They're okay. They're okay. Knowing my father, I had been expecting the worst.