Chapter 8: Accomplishments

An hour ago, Aarav had left with his brother to deal with some issues at work, leaving Muskaan to sit and ponder over the thoughts of what had just happened. Her childhood best friend just showed her a secret folder, locked with a password, that was filled with pictures of her. From her biggest achievements to her smallest, all there. Sitting beside her nephew, she gazed at the pictures he had sent her. There were just too many emotions building in her, from last night to the posts to now, it was a lot. She was a complete mess, and she just wasn't in the frame of mind to deal with any of it. She switches her phone off and throws it in her bag and to her it was like she switched off her problems and shifted her focus to her nephew. 

Seeing him playing with the Barbie made her smile, but she giggled when he said he was teaching her taekwondo so she could smash Ken's face. That was her brother-in-law's new obsession, enrolling his kids in taekwondo, which is why now her nephew was now also obsessed with it. 

"Vihaan, shona. What did Ken do?"

Muskaan held her nephew in place to get answers, she knew this conversation would get her mind off all the drama her life had right now. Vihaan shrugged at her and said, "Nothing, he did nothing."

Muskaan laughed at the answer, "Then why should Barbie beat him up if he did nothing?"

"Because that's the problem. That he did nothing." 

"What do you mean mera baccha?"

Vihaan rolled his eyes at his maasi, before jumping onto her lap and holding her face in place with his tiny hands.

"Maasshhhiiiiii!!! If Barbie has to do everything, then what's the point of having a Ken? In every movie he does nothing! Why would Barbie want some guy who puts in no effort?" 

Muskaan looks at him, taking in his words. She sighed to herself, even her little nephew had his thoughts sorted out and then there was her, no idea what she was doing. But his words held meaning that she understood but decided to ignore for now. But one thing she understood was that she wasn't going to play Barbie and let some guy tag along just because he put in minimal effort. 

Her thoughts were interrupted by her niece, who had been sitting patiently with her drawing.

"He just hates Ken because he has the biggest crush on Barbie." 

Muskaan's eyes widened as her niece shrugged her shoulders like she did not just embarrass her brother. Vihaan was also gaping at his sister, betrayal was written all over his face like his sister just casually exposed his biggest secret. The aunt-nephew duo was busy expressing their shock when Chhaya walks in. Now being 4 months pregnant, her husband had decided she should come to work only part-time. There had been a huge discussion about it between the two, but ultimately Chhaya found herself agreeing with her husband. 

"Hi, bhabhi."

"Muskaan, you treat me like I'm a hundred years older than you." 

Muskaan almost giggles at the pregnant woman, knowing how her pregnancy hormones have kicked it already. 

Just as the two were about to start a conversation, Chhaya's phone rang, and without needing to look at the screen who was calling. The two laughed before Chhaya picked up the call. Muskaan smiled as she listened to the two soon-to-be parents talk on the phone. Her heart clenched at the thought that this could be her if she just gave Aarav the chance he was asking for. But her heart also knew that she needed some time. She tuned the voice of her heart out and turned her focus back on the twins who had moved on from their Barbie discussion.