Chapter Eight

It's been a few weeks since the last time I saw Tommy, it's like he's avoiding me. I'm starting to think his idea of keeping me safe is to just stay away completely and I don't know how to feel about that, especially since I'm starting to have feelings for him again, not that my feelings for him ever left to begin with. I haven't seen Polly in a while either, every time I see her in public she looks very disheveled and rushes from one place to another, I wonder what has happened to her.

It's been a long day at the store, many people have stopped by and picked up their usually things. I was stocking the herbal mixes when the door opened, I looked behind me and saw Arthur.

"Hello Arthur, lovely to see you," I say with a big smile, I haven't seen him since I got back into town.

"Hello love, I'm here to pick up some cigars," he said.

"Good thing I got a box with your name on it," I say with a smirk.

Arthur just laughs and walks up to the counter and sets his money down.

"Here you go," I say smiling.

"You know Ivy, it's so nice seeing your lovely face again," he says picking up his cigars.

"It's so nice seeing yours and your families faces as well, I missed you guys," I say.

"Well I have to get going gonna go to the ring for a bit, but I want to invite you to the Garrison reopening," he says.

"Oh it's already fixed up," I said happy to hear it was finally ready.

"It's back sweetheart, better see you there," he said walking out the door.

I didn't have anything planned for tonight so going to the Garrison will be fun. I obviously haven't been since I was younger, the times we all had there were definitely moments I'd never want to forget. The Garrison was also one of the first moments Tommy and I really had a moment.

Ada and I have been at the Garrison for hours now, drinking, dancing and talking. Her brothers were supposed to be here a little while ago, but they still haven't showed so we continue drinking, and I am getting very drunk. We decided to dance again, a few of the men put me and Ada on the tables and we've been twirling up here for a bit. I feel myself getting dizzy and lose my balance, I start to fall but someone catches me, it's Thomas, I look up to find his eyes and he looks angry.

"How did you get up there Miss Collins?" He asks.

"Oh you know, climbed up," I said giggling.

"You and Ada are going to be the death of me," he said setting me down, too soon if you ask me.

"You just might be the death of me Mr Shelby," I say.

"And why might that be?" He asks looking into my eyes.

I gulp and start to walk off heading to the bar.

"Another one Harry," I say leaning onto the bar for some support.

"Harry she's cut off, so is Ada," Thomas said in a stern voice.

"What that's not fair Thomas," I say with a huff.

"And on that note I should get her home," Tommy says reaching to grab my hand.

"What about Ada I can't leave her," I say looking for her.

"Arthur is taking her home as we speak," he says leading me towards the door.

Once we get out the door I start to lose my footing and Thomas had to help me up. He looks very annoyed but decides to pick me up, and carries me home. He smells so good, I've always had a little infatuation with him and only my sister Martha knows that.