Chapter 4

Starlingpaw felt the world fall out from beneath her paws.
It's likely that she may never become a warrior. The words repeated in her head, again and again, pounding their message into her skull relentlessly. Starlingpaw had known all along that something was wrong with her, but she had always held on to a tiny hope that she could solve it, that despite all odds she would rise up and become a warrior like she had always dreamed of. She thought of all her hard work, the failed training sessions, the hunting trips where she returned with empty paws. She had endured it all because of her belief that it was worth something, worth anything, but now a variable beyond her control had ruined that hope, and crushed her dreams.
"N-never..." Starlingpaw squeaked, her voice high and shrill with shock and dismay. "There's no chance?"
Honeypool's eyes were sympathetic. "It's nearly impossible. Not to be blunt, but you've experienced your inability. Do you think you might be able to overcome it?"
"Of course!" Darkfeather hissed suddenly. "I won't give up! My apprentice will become a warrior even if it takes twice as much work!" Her words, though strong and fierce, felt empty.
Honeypool shook her head, and meowed quietly, "I'm sorry. It can't be done."
"What do you mean? So her legs are a bit too stiff and she trembles sometimes. That doesn't mean she'll never be able to hunt or fight!"
The medicine cat stood up and released a breath. "Yes, you're right. She could become a warrior." Starlingpaw's chest swelled momentarily at her words but soon deflated. "However, with the combination of her missing hunting instincts- which are likely a result of the disease- it would be a terribly steep task for her to even function as a warrior from day to day. But, what am I saying- Starlingpaw, how do you feel about this?"
"I..." Starlingpaw stammered, put on the spot. "I want to be a warrior. "I uh... yes, yes, of course I do!" she meowed, but she was unsure of her own words. Did she really want to be a warrior, or was it just that Clan life had ingrained the notion into her?
Honeypool's whiskers twitched, and she sat still for a moment before getting to her paws and nosing through a pile of herbs. She grabbed a couple of stalks that Starlingpaw recognized as thyme and turned around to face her. "Now Starlingpaw, I'm not sure if this will help you at all, but this is the herb I'd usually use for trembling cats, often ones in shock. I'd like you to take some, and then go training in the morning. Tell me afterward if you feel any difference." She placed the herbs at the sable apprentice's feet and looked directly into her eyes. "If you are set on becoming a warrior, it is my duty to assist you in any way I can. I may have to ask StarClan itself for help, but I will not rest until you are living a fulfilling life. Understand?"
Starlingpaw nodded shakily, suddenly aware of the tremors of her head, as if she couldn't quite hold it up. "I understand, Honeypool. Thank you."
As Starlingpaw chewed on the stalk of thyme, Honeypool proposed a plan to her and her mentor. "I think Starlingpaw should return here often, and I can help her learn to overcome the disease. Your role is important, too, Darkfeather. She will likely have to relearn everything she has been taught and now try to adapt it to her needs." The medicine cat looked at her paws. "I have my doubts that it will work, but we need to try if Starlingpaw is truly set on becoming a warrior."
Starlingpaw thought of the work that lay ahead of her, restarting her apprenticeship and struggling to finally become proficient, and wondered if she would think the work was worth it. When she finally became a warrior, would she wish that she had taken an easier route? Would she even enjoy hunting and fighting for the clan when she had no drive to do so? A heavy doubt pierced through her mind- Did Starlingpaw really want to be a warrior?
"What should I do?" Starlingpaw asked the golden-colored she-cat.
Honeypool sighed and shuffled her paws together. "If you don't want to go through your training all over again... you might make a good medicine cat. You could be my apprentice." She paused for a second and an uncomfortable expression soon crossed over her face. "But judging by the look on your face... I'm guessing that's a no?"
Starlingpaw hissed and flattened her ears. "Do I have a choice in tha matter? Or can Darkfeather reteach me how to hunt?"
Starlingpaw glanced over at her mentor, who was glaring icily at Honepool. "Are you trying to turn my apprentice into a medicine cat?" the dark-furred warrior bridged in fury.
Honeypool stepped back in surprise and flattened her ears. "Well, I-" but the medicine cat was cut off by Darkfeather, who still looked furious.
"Look, Honeypool," Darkfeather meowed sharply. "I can retrain her if that's what it'll take. But I don't think forcing her to be a medicine cat is going to help anything!"
Starlingpaw sighed and shifted her paws nervously. "Darkfeather," she mewed calmy to get her mentor's attention. When Darkfeather turned her amber gaze on her apprentice, she seemed to calm down and the anger in her eyes dimmed slightly. "Please stop yelling at Honeypool, she's just trying to help. And even though I don't like it either, what else can we do about it?"
After speaking those last few words, the sable she-cat turned her yellow gaze on Honeypool. "Can I please have some time to think about your offer?" she asked the medicine cat, her tail twitching slightly from left to right.
The medicine cat nodded her head, smiling kindly down at the young she-cat with an understanding look reflecting in her hazel gaze. "Of course you can, Starlingpaw." She purred softly and curled her tail around her paws. "Go rest and we'll discuss this later. Once a choice has been made, the three of us will go and speak with Blizzardstar."
Starlingpaw dipped her head to the medicine cat and turned around, dashing out of the den and making her way toward the apprentice's Denton chat with both her brother, Larkpaw, and her new friend, Tawnypaw.