Chapter 5

"Comfrey is good for broken bones," Starlingpaw mewed, pointing to a leafy green plant with purple flowers. Honeypool nodded approvingly. The two cats were going over what Starlingpaw had learned that day.
"And this?" she asked, jabbing a small white flower with an overwhelmingly strong scent. Starlingpaw frowned and tried to remember.
"Yarrow, good for... sore throats?" she asked tentatively. Honeypool shook her head.
"You're right that it's yarrow, but it's used to make cats vomit if they have stomach troubles. But what is good for sore throats?" she asked, sitting down and tucking her white paws under her gold-and-white tail. Starlingpaw searched the herb stores and frowned.
"Honey is good, but I don't see any here," she mewed sadly. Honeypool sighed.
"We're going to have to ask one of the warriors to get it," she meowed tiredly. Starlingpaw cocked her head to the side. She felt frustrated at her now.
"Why can't you go get the honey?" she asked, fluffing up her sableo fur, her yellow eyes slitting. Honeypool rolled her hazel eyes.
"Cause then I'd get stung!" she meowed slowly, as if it were obvious, which it wasn't.
Stupid kit! Starlingpaw heard her mutter under her breath, and the fluffy golden she-cat turned around to sort herbs. Starlingpaw whirled around.
"Excuse me?!" she growled, unsheathing her sharp claws. She was prepared for a fight, but instead Honeypool turned around, her hazel eyes wide.
"Hm?" she asked, looking a little dazed at Starlingpaw's battle-ready expression. She hissed at her.
"Why did you call me a stupid kit?! I'm an apprentice! Besides why can't you risk your own sorry fur to get some stupid honey?!"
Honeypool's hazel eyes opened wide. She almost looked scared, which was silly, as Starlingpaw was a six-moon-old apprentice with no battle training whatsoever.
How did she hear what I was thinking? she asked herself, but his mouth didn't move. Starlingpaw was shocked.
"H-How did you do that?" she asked stuttering. She didn't know if Honeypool had a few tricks up her fur, or if she was just going crazy, but Honeypool looked genuinely bewildered.
"I didn't say anything..." she mewed quietly. "Did I?" she then asked quickly, her fur fluffing out.
A breeze blew through the den at that moment, rustling the carefully stacked herbs, carrying them and making them dance in the wind. Starlingpaw hurriedly sprung up out of reflexes and snatched the leaves out of the air. She then realized that Honeypool was still waiting for her response, and she mewed a quick, quiet,
"Um, nothing. You didn't say anything, it must've been the wind."
She could tell that Honeypool didn't quite believe her, but that was okay. She didn't quite believe herself either.
"I-I'm going to get some air," she meowed, mostly to herself, as Honeypool was busy sorting herbs into the many holes and crevices in the den wall. Honeypool waved a paw.
"It's okay, you've been working hard. It's sundown, go share tongues with your clanmates." She meowed. Starlingpaw dipped her head politely and dashed out of the den.
She stepped outside, and she saw Dustclaw and Flashstripe chatting by the Sun-Tree, both cats flopped down in the pinkish sundown light.
It was evening, and by now most of DawnClan was settled down, sharing freshly caught prey, grooming each other and sharing the latest gossip. Badgerkit and Lightningkit were parked directly in front of the elders den, listening to Mossfur, Willowclaw, and Vinetail talk about the days when they were warriors, young and strong.
"Yes, I do love what Mintflower's done with her fur!" Starlingpaw heard Flashstripe exclaim to Dustclaw. Starlingpaw walked over to the fresh-kill pile to choose a fat red robin. She was padding over to sit with her littermates, who had just gotten back from their first day of training. But as she was walking towards them, she heard Dustclaw meow in a low voice,
If you like looking like a living snowball!
Starlingpaw spun around. Dustclaw was grooming his soft brown fur absent-mindedly, and Flashstripe was mewing away about some DuskClan cat called Emberfall and her relationship with Aldercloud. Why would Dustclaw say that? she wondered. Dustclaw barely spoke, so why now? And why so rude? She saw Poppypaw roll over lazily, exposing her fluffy white belly, and she watched her sister, amused.
Why is Starlingpaw staring at me? Poppypaw mewed, annoyed. Starlingpaw was shocked.
Poppypaw's mouth didn't move.
All of a sudden, voices started twirling around her, flying into her ears, toying with her mind. And Starlingpaw tried to recognize those voices. But they were spinning too fast for her to tell.
Paledove barely catches any prey. It must be her kittypets instincts.
Lightningkit and Badgerkit are so cute!
I wonder if I can sneak another one of those delicious rabbits?
The sunset looks so totally pretty behind those pine trees!
Larkpaw is a great fighter, but he needs to listen.
Ashscar is getting old. I wonder why she's not in the elders den?
She spun around and around, but no cat was speaking.
No cat at all.
Am I going crazy? she wondered, then stopped. She took a hold on herself, and the thoughts spinning in her head, and calmly strolled over towards Shadepaw, who was lying beside her littermates and enjoying a chubby gray mouse.
"Shadepaw, think of a cat, any cat." She meowed, her heart pounding in her chest. Shadepaw looked at her quizzically, but mewed an,
"Okay... got it!" Starlingpaw pricked her ears up and listened.
Lightningkit.
Starlingpaw's heart stopped. Every nerve was on end. Can I read minds? she wondered. She stopped herself. It wasn't proven yet. She might be wrong.
"Lightningkit?" she asked Shadepaw, scared of her answer. Shadepaw's green eyes grew wide.
"Yes, how did you know?"