Chapter Three: Quidditch Tryouts

September 1995 - Hogwarts

This was the first time I ever had to try out for quidditch. Last year I was an emergency sub, and quickly became the team favorite. Now I was on a completely different team. And I was competing with the Weasley twins for the same spot. The odds weren't in my favor. But I had Harry with me.

"I'd like to promise you a spot, Grace," he told me on the way to tryouts. "I really would. I would love for you to be on the team. But I simply can't. Especially since Fred and George have been on the team for years."

"I know, Harry," I said. "I'm not asking you for favors. I want to earn my spot. And I don't have to be a beater. I'll go for any available position. I just want to be on the team."

"I mean, I'm sure you'll make it," he said. "I just can't promise that you will."

When Harry and I walked onto the field and saw the disappointing turn out, Fred and George came up to me.

"There she is!" George said, patting me on the shoulder.

"Welcome to Gryffindor," Fred said.

"Hey, guys," I said.

"Oi, Angelina," George said, signalling Angelina to come closer. "I wouldn't mind getting kicked off if she took my place," George said.

"That's nice of you, George," I said. "But I don't expect to be a beater this year. It's your last year, I wouldn't dream of taking it from you. I'm hoping for chaser or keeper this year. Then next year I'll try to return to being a beater."

"At first I was suspicious when you were resorted into Gryffindor," Angelina said. "But then I realized we'd get you for quidditch. Looking forward to today."

"Well, with this turnout, I don't think you'll have to worry about making the team," Fred said.

"Harry!" I heard a voice say, running towards us. It was Ginny bringing Harry the case of quidditch balls. "Here's the case," she said, handing it to him.

"Thanks," he said.

"Oh, hi, Ginny," I said.

"Hi, Grace," she said timidly.

"Are you trying out?"

"Oh, no," she said. "I'm too busy this year. But hopefully my schedule will free up next year. I'm just subbing for tryouts." Harry looked around at everyone who was there to try out.

"Even if you're not here to try out," Harry said, "you may just make the team after all. Alright everyone, let's go."

Harry had to teach me the other positions, and the whole situation gave me butterflies. I think he liked me too, but I couldn't quite read him. After tryouts we all gathered around for the final announcement.

"Alright," Angelina said. "Great job, everyone. Those of you who didn't make it, don't let that stop you from trying out next year. So we'll keep Harry as a Seeker. Chasers will be me, Katie Bell, and Alicia Spinnet. Fred and George will stay beaters. And Grace, you're our new keeper." Harry looked at me, excited as I smiled. "But if one or both of the twins are out, I want Grace to sub. She's proven that she can do the job of two beaters. And Ginny will be subbing for all other positions this year." Ginny wasn't expecting to be remotely involved in quidditch apart from tryouts, so she was super happy to hear that she'd be a sub.

"Are you upset?" Hermione asked me that night in the common room.

"Upset? I made the team. Why would I be upset?"

"Because you're not a beater," Ron said.

"I'm not emotionally attached to that position," I said. "I only started out as a beater because that's what Slytherin needed."

"No, you don't understand, Grace," Hermione said. "Hogwarts has only ever had a handful of girls who have been beaters. Girls have always played as a chaser or a seeker. Even in professional quidditch, it's very unusual."

"What? Why?"

"Because beaters are usually the biggest players," Ron said. "Ya know, they have to be. They have to be strong enough to hit those stupid bludgers. That's why everyone made such a fuss about you last year. Because you had never played quidditch before, and you're a 5"4 girl, and you covered for Roberts, and you won the quidditch cup. Not to mention you knocked out my brother." I rolled my eyes.

"That was an accident," I said.

"I know it was," he said. "The point is that you were strong enough to do it. It's just unusual, is all."

"Well I'm not upset," I said. "And I don't see what the big deal is. I liked being a beater, but I'm a keeper for now. Next year I'll hopefully go back."

That was weird. I didn't know Quidditch had gender-based positions. I mean the explanation made sense. But I've always been one to go against the grain, so of course I built my quidditch reputation on doing the man's job better than the man. Now that quidditch was settled, I could refocus on school. And of course, Harry Potter.