Chapter Seven: The Half Blood Prince

September 1996 - Hogwarts

"He said WHAT?" Harry asked for what felt like the millionth time. We were sitting in the common room with Hermione, waiting for Ron to join us after he finished getting congratulated by what seemed like everyone in Gryffindor.

"Don't make her repeat it," Hermione said. "It's disgusting. And totally patronizing."

"Sorry," Harry said. "I just can't believe it."

"I have to admit," Ron said as he sat down with us, "I thought I was gonna miss that last one. I hope Cormac's not taking it too hard." Harry, Hermione, and I all looked at each other. Ron would never forgive me if he knew why he was really on the team. "He's got a bit of a thing for you, Hermione. Cormac." Hermione and I glanced at each other.

"He's vile," Hermione said.

"Have you ever heard of this spell?" Harry asked Hermione as he showed her his potions book that I gave him. "Sectumsempra?"

"No, I haven't," Hermione said immediately. "And if you had a shred of self-respect, you'd hand that book in."

"Not bloody likely," Ron said. "He's top of the class. He's even better than you Hermione. Slughorn thinks he's a genius."

"I'd like to know whose that was," Hermione said.

"Well it's not mine," Harry said. "It's Grace's."

"Let's have a look, shall we?" Hermione asked, reaching for the book out of Harry's hands.

"No," Harry stood up instantly, walking away from her.

"Why not?" Hermione asked as Harry made his way around the other side of the couch.

"The...binding is...fragile," he said, continuing to walk away.

"The binding is fragile?" Hermione repeated, chasing him down.

"Yeah," he said. When Harry wasn't looking, Ginny snatched the book out of his hand and opened it.

"Who's the half-blood prince?" Ginny asked.

"Who?" Hermione said.

"The half-blood prince," Ginny repeated. "That's what it says right here. This book is property of the half-blood prince. Grace?"

"I dunno," I said. "My dad gave it to me when I was taking potions over the summer."

"So it's Snape's book?" Ginny asked.

"Definitely not," I said. "I mean, he may have used it at one point. But I don't think he's the half-blood prince, whoever that is. Kind of a stupid name." Ginny eventually tossed the book back to Harry, who I happened to notice couldn't keep his eyes off her. I was hoping to talk to him a little, but he left quickly after that.