Nevertheless

You're over the clock, late.
You're trying to catch a bus, It's the same bus you've always taken, even as a little girl before you grew into a man.

You're looking towards a crowd of people, they're all swarming something, you get closer, they scatter, and it's a little girl. It's a missing little girl who's body was found in a hospital years ago.

She's standing there, making eye contact with you, long hair, blue eyes, USA size 7-8 children's hiking jeans and a teal shirt with a big yellow smile on it that says BE HAPPY. In bold. She's standing there even though she knows she died in a hospital, she knows she won't come back, she knows her name isn't ever gonna be Sophia again, she knows she died the minute Finney accepted himself.

You blink, and she's gone, everyone is looking at you as if there was never a crowd, there was never a bus, there was never a hospital, there was never a Finney. It's always been Sophia.

And now you look down at yourself, noticing you're wearing hiking jeans and look up seeing you're not alone but with both of your parents this time. Like the divorce never happened. Everyone looks at you like Sophia. And you're a little girl again, a little girl who hasn't accepted herself yet.

But when that little girl wakes up from her dream, she's Finney again, Finney who knows Sophia died a long time ago. Finney who knows he isn't like other boys. Finney who knows his parents aren't going to go back. Finney who knows he's glad he's Finney. Finney who knew who he was. But in the back of his mind, he's Sophia who doesn't know Finney exists yet.