Chapter 28: Crossroads

A Few Hours Before Isabella Awakens

***Torn (Amy's)***

The stark white walls of the hospital, infused with the smell of antiseptics, seemed to claw at Amy's senses as she sat in the waiting room.

Her hands were restless, fidgeting with the edge of her coat, her mind replaying the dreadful events that had transpired.

Isabella was in surgery, fighting for her life. Alex was pacing the corridor, a mask of anxiety betraying his usual stoic facade.

Amy couldn't shake the image of Isabella's pained face as she took the bullet for Alex. The sound of the gunshot still echoed in her ears, a haunting reminder of how close they had come to losing everything.

Marcus had called several times, his voice thick with concern. But Amy couldn't find the right words to explain what had happened.

How could she put into words the tangled web of emotions that had trapped them all?

She glanced over at Alex, who was now leaning against the wall, his face pale and drawn. Their eyes met, and for a moment, then he looked away.

Amy's heart ached at the sight of him, his despair tangible. Pushing herself up, she walked over to him, her steps hesitant yet determined.

"Alex," she said softly, her voice full of concern.

He didn't respond, his gaze fixed on the floor.

"Hey," she said, reaching out to gently lift his chin, compelling him to look at her.

"Talk to me. What's going on in that head of yours?"

"I failed her, Amy," he choked out, his voice cracking with emotion.

"Isabella... I should have protected her, and now she's been hurt because of me."

"No, Alex, you can't think like that," Amy replied, her eyes moist with sympathy.

"You did everything you could. Isabella's strong; she'll pull through."

His eyes were filled with doubt, guilt, and deep sadness.

"But what if that's not enough? What if I lose her?"

"You won't lose her," Amy insisted, her voice firm.

"She's a fighter. She'll come back to us, and she'll come back to you."

Alex's eyes softened, and for a moment, he seemed to find comfort in Amy's words. But then, something shifted in his gaze, and he said quietly,

"I just don't know if things can ever be the same again, Amy. Between us... or between Isabella and me."

Amy's heart caught in her throat. His words left her reeling, and she could see the struggle in his eyes.