ᴀɴɴɪᴠᴇʀꜱᴀʀʏ ɢɪꜰᴛ

Diavolo x Reader (SFW)

Excitement buzzes in your veins as you wander further down the winding hallways of the castle, the decadent carpeted floorings under your bare feet laden with thousands of scattered rose petals leading the way to your destination. Scented candles burning in their candelabras or simply laden in neat rows along the corridors light your path in the dim surroundings and fill the air with a heady scent. No one is about, not even Barbatos the butler. It seems that the staff have all taken leave for today, because today isn't just any other day.

It's your three year anniversary with the Lord of the Devildom himself.

You haven't seen him all day. Only that he's ready, having sent you a letter to tell you to come over, you're truly curious to know what he has in store for you. In your time as an exchange student at the Devildom, you and Diavolo had fallen in love, and after the programme, you had decided to stay on instead of returning to the Human World. There was nothing waiting for you back there anyway, and the fact that being able to see the people—demons—you'd come to care so much about as your friends and the man you loved with all your heart absolutely didn't hurt. Recently however, you've been facing some troubles in your relationship. With Diavolo's father, the current king of the Devildom nearing the end of his lifespan, his heir, the Prince is being prepped to take his place. This leaves him with little time for you, and makes him all the more stressed. Not two weeks ago, he snapped at you. An argument soon ensued, and you both said some hurtful things. You've both made up since then, but your relationship is still slightly strained.

As the trail of flower petals lead you up to Diavolo's bedroom, you find your pace and heart rate quickening in anticipation. This anniversary, something feels different. Your boyfriend's been acting strangely, jittery and more shy to express affection toward you than usual, aside from the stress he's been under. It makes you wonder if something will happen tonight. You press a hand to your breast, over your racing heart as you feel yourself blush.

Perhaps tonight...

Diavolo's bedroom door is open, and your breath catches slightly as your eyes land on what's waiting for you inside. Dressed in a simple robe as you are, fiery hair mussed and arms open to you, he waits on the bed, surrounded by more rose petals and candles. He greets you with a soft smile, opening his arms.

Immediately, you fall into your lover's embrace, wrapping your arms around him, your hands not even close to touching each other around his broad back. 

"Happy anniversary, my beloved." He rumbles in your ear, stroking his big hands over your spine, kissing you tenderly. "And to you too," you whisper again his lips before pulling away to admire the setup he created. You've already given him your gift, and so has he, but this is something extra, another effort he's made to show you his unwavering love and dedication. Here in his arms, any awkward feelings from your prior argument dissipates in an instant. "It's beautiful, Dia. Thank you. For everything." You truly mean it, your heart swelling with love for him. Diavolo beams in delight at your compliment, gazing at you with the same affection you bear for him. You make yourself comfortable on his bed, hugging one of his pillows to your chest as you settle in for a night of endless conversation with the man you love most in the world. It's not really how other couples would spend their anniversary, but its what works for both of you. Still, the thought of what he might do tonight lingers in your mind. The mattress dips with his weight as he shifts closer to you, raising a bottle of wine and two wine glasses by their stems. "Shall we have a drink?" He asks with a smile. You nod as he pops the cork on the bottle, the heady scent of the wine mixing with the smell of the roses and the candles in the room. He pours you a glass and hands it to you, then one for himself.

"Cheers, my love."

You clink your glasses, then swill your drinks and sip. The wine is fruity, bittersweet on your tongue. You gaze at Diavolo, wondering once again, where the two of you might be in future. Married? Perhaps, with children...? Your heart flutters. Diavolo has you snuggle up with him, oblivious to your slight anxiousness. Soon enough, the two of you fall into that familiar flow of conversation, your earlier doubts vanishing without a trace with Diavolo's jokes and warm, booming laughter.