Chapter 3: Asleep.

George POV.

Since Karl had seen the demon earlier neither of us had left the cabin. Neither of us were able to do anything for the rest of the day and the younger brunette kept going through panics about what was going to happen with that demon. Would it find the cabin? What would it do if it found us? Are we going to have to leave our home?
I had promised Karl that I would protect him no matter what, how can I protect him against baby-eating demons?

I too had questions. In the past year this was the closest we’ve ever seen a demon to the cabin and it could mean a wide range of things. Perhaps the demon was on his own just wandering aimlessly, or maybe he was with a group with the aim of hunting for humans. Who knows?

Karl had been sobbing while asking all manner of worried questions all evening, and as a way of calming him we just hugged each other on the bed with his head buried in my chest. “What happens if the demon finds us?” Karl asked in a whisper, almost as if the demon was in ear shot and would come looking for us if we were too loud.

“That won’t happen.” I responded, attempting to reassure him. “If it’s already been a year and no demon has found us, then I doubt that tonight will be any different.” Both of us were huddled together under blankets in an attempt to keep us warm.

I would have honestly loved nothing more than to have a fire within range of us for the two of us to be warmed by, but we couldn’t risk having a demon, humans, or wild animals attempting to come and find our house from any light. Any curtains that were in the cabin when we first found it were either eaten by moths or better used as blankets in Winter.

“I’m scared George.” Karl admitted, a small sniffle almost inaudible as his voice was muffled by my chest. “What if something happens to us? What if-”
“Calm down.” I said softly. “You are getting yourself wound up Karl. Just calm down and we can sleep. Nothing bad will happen, alright?”

The taller brunette merely nodded before letting out a soft yawn. The two of us both allowed sleep to overrun us while we held each other close.

Dream POV.

Woodlands surrounded our house, stretching out for hundreds of miles before reaching the next sign of civilization, so it was the perfect place to run since lets be fair, Sapnap and I wouldn’t be able to walk for long before making it some form of chasing game.

For ages the two of us ran, our stamina being strong enough to carry us for ages. Eventually the two of us slowed down and just started laughing absentmindedly as we continued walking.
“Did you know we have a river near our house?” Sapnap asked, “I found that out today while you were sitting in front of your computer.”

“Should we check it out?” I asked in response, my eyes glowing brighter at the idea of going adventuring into a part of the forest we hadn’t been to yet. It was growing late and the sky was darkening but demons didn’t need sleep in the same way other species’ did.
“Yeah we could.” He responded with a nod.

I allowed him to walk ahead of me to direct me to the river. As we walked neither of us spoke a word, instead we listened to the sounds of the forest. It was unsurprisingly silent. Most of the animals were all hibernating or asleep. Even with our amazing demon hearing we couldn’t hear much other than the whisper of the wind.

After five minutes the rushing water began reaching our ears and we sped up to a jog as we hurried towards it. “I had crossed over the river when I walked earlier.” Sapnap explained. “I was over there since I saw an animal, I think it might have been a deer.” The fact that my ravenette friend was so easily distracted made me laugh.

“Anyway,” my best friend continued. “You want to walk back, or we could continue and look around since we haven’t been out this far before.”
“We could look around.” I shrugged, turning away from the riverbank and walking up a hill between some trees.

I had thought we were just going to be wandering aimlessly, not looking for anything in particular, but being particularly surprised when I noticed a cabin in the distance. My eyes widened as I glanced over at Sapnap who was looking over at the same thing, his own eyes narrowed and glowing softly.

“Should we go check it out?” I asked, wanting to know what was in the strange cabin. The wrath demon, just as curious as I was, nodded instantly before beginning to sprint in the direction of the cabin. Once I’d taken a moment to chuckle at him I hastily followed after him, not wanting to be left behind.

Sapnap slowed to a stop in front of the door to the hut, waiting for me to catch up while peering through the dirty window. “Something is moving in there.” He said softly, looking over at me as I approached him. “I can barely see it moving.”
“Could be an animal.” I shrugged. “Got in through a broken window to escape the cold.”

“Should we go in and check it out?” The ravenette asked, although he was already moving towards the door without waiting for me to answer.
“Sure, if you want to get rabies.” I smirked, causing him to let out a low snarl at me. “I’ll follow after you.”

He opened the door and stepped inside with me following after him. The inside looked as though it had been built several decades ago, yet it was kept in a state of cleanliness to show that people were clearly living in it, clearly not an animal as I had guessed. But Sapnap’s gaze wasn’t focused on the rest of the cabin, his attention was on the bed.

There were two humans, laying in an embrace under the covers and both asleep. Our eyes were wide as we watched them before darting over to one another to try and silently communicate with what we should do. Should we leave them here asleep? Should we go? Should we bring them with us?

Sapnap leaned in closer to the pair, taking in their appearance but before either of us could decide on what to do, one of the humans woke up and in a state of fear he let out an unholy shriek.
_________________________________________
1126 words.