Chapter 75

~ Two Weeks Later ~

Sade's POV:

A distinctive aroma infiltrated my senses, stirring me awake. Fluttering my eyes open, I looked to my left, finding dawn had just barely broken. The sky remained a faint shade of dark blue as the sun peaked its head ever so slightly over the horizon. It was then that I heard music coming from downstairs, making my eyebrows crease.

Realizing, once turning over, that the space next to me was empty, a small frown crept onto my face. Looking around the room, I then sat up as it was also empty.

It's the crack of dawn, so what the hell was Lauren doing that I'm smelling food and hearing music? As I pulled the comforter back, and slid on the sweatpants in the chair next to the bed, I went downstairs to find out. Soft notes, I'd assume from the piano instead of the record player grew louder the farther I went down the steps.

The kitchen was clean, and hardly looked any different from the way it did last night. Glancing ahead of me, there she was, and I grinned softly to myself at the sight. Her curly hair was down and flowed past her bare shoulders. Dressed in pajama shorts, a tank top, and a blanket over her legs, she had her head down as her fingers played with the keys, slowly creating a melody. Mumbling soft lyrics and hummed notes, she'd tilt her head from either side while her hands moved about.

At first, I just watched her in awe, a slight smile spreading across my lips as I leaned against the kitchen island. Again, I wished for a camera to capture the view before me; the city lights beaming with the vast view just before the piano, and Lauren at the center, seeming so at peace.

There was a notebook sitting atop the instrument, and a pencil on that. And when she had muttered a lyric with the most beautiful note, then wrote it down just to shake her head and start to scribble it out, I spoke a soft protest,

"You should keep it-" a frightened gasp left her as she whipped around to look at me, and I chuckled while ambling up to her. "Don't scratch it out Honeybee, it sounded really good." Laying a hand over her chest and closing her eyes as I grew closer, she shook her head while slowly turning back to the piano,

"Jesus, Sade-"

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," I cooed, brushing hair back on her shoulders as she then turned to look up at me. Once our eyes met, I ran a hand along her cheek, and she leaned into my touch. "Couldn't sleep?"

Instead of an instant response, she pulled the blanket back from her legs to hold up while sliding her other arm around my waist. A smile tugged my lips as I sat on her lap and she wrapped both arms around me, sliding a rather chilled hand under my t-shirt. I shivered while giggling a little,

"Baby your hands are colddd," I said, wrapping my right arm around her shoulders.

Simply chucking softly, Lauren paid me no mind while grabbing my left hand and lifting it to place sweet kisses along my arm. Heat sparked beneath my skin and cheeks as I bit my lip.

"How else are they gonna warm up?" she asked before finally looking up at me with a grin, her eyes now studying my features. "I'm sorry if I woke you. I closed the door and tried to keep quiet-"

"You not being next to me is what woke me," I said, twirling her hair on my finger. "Well that and I smelled food-" she laughed as I playfully tilted my head. "Care to explain that by the way?"

"There may or may not be freshly baked cookies in the oven. But I made them about an hour ago, so they're just in there to keep some warmth." She chuckled as I gave her a look that said, 'you baked cookies...at six in the morning??' And it made me smile. "Yes, I baked cookies at six in the morning- it was impulsive, I know."