2) Jake

Niki's mother is going to kill me.

That's all that's going through my head as I search for my friend in the bustling crowd.

It's my own fault really, I can never say no to Niki and his stupid ideas, and it's landed us in hot water more times than I can count.

Last week, we spiked the wine at the nobles council meeting.

To call it a council meeting is a farce, it's just an opportunity for the absurdly wealthy to gossip and plot ways to make themselves richer.

Barely an hour in someone fell off their chair, a few were sobbing, some were in hysterical laughter, and one even made a love confession. And got immediately rejected.

It was so stupid and so unbelievably petty, but I didn't care.

It was endlessly amusing for Niki and I who were drinking the same wine from our hidden spot on the overlooking balcony.

Until he threw up everywhere.

My stomach is still stained black-purple from the punch my uncle delivered as a consequence.

And yet here I am, only days later, sucked into yet another terrible idea.

The jolly sound of circus music drifts around me and I can smell all kinds of tantalising deep fried and toasted foods.

Actually it's not my fault, if the guards at the palace were any good at their jobs we wouldn't have been able to sneak out in the first place.

I doubt my uncle the king will see it that way, or the duchess - Niki's eternally stressed and overbearing mother.

She would not be pleased if she knew where we were. Especially now that I've somehow bloody lost him.

I don't know how it happened but he's nowhere to be seen. I curse under my breath and run a hand through my hair as I scan the landscape of carts and stalls outside of the large main circus tent.

The show is over but the place is still alive with people, the evening air refreshing after the heat of being inside.

A scarf covers the lower half of my face to prevent me from being recognised. Nothing is ever any fun when everyone around you is a simpering mess trying to gain the favour of a prince.

If they knew how little power I really hold I doubt anyone would give a shit about me except for Niki.

I really need to find him before he accidentally pisses someone off and gets his face punched in.

Given his love for making trouble, that scenario is worryingly likely.

I'm manoeuvring through the sea of people when I spot a flash of blonde hair and Niki's lanky frame disappearing into the one of the many smaller tents.

I follow after, trying to catch up, but when I duck into the darkness of the tent I stop in confusion as I'm faced with a maze of mirrors.

A sign indicates that it's closed, but I'm absolutely sure this is where he went.

I pull the scarf down from my face.
"Niki?" I call out, but all I can hear is the commotion of the fair outside.

He must have done this on purpose, I bet he's just waiting for me to come searching for him so he can jump out and scare me.

I huff, because it would definitely work.

"Fine, you child, I'm coming in." I announce, and enter the maze.

It's deceivingly huge, the mirrored corridors are wide and seem to twist and turn and go on forever.

Way too much time passes, and my frustration builds every time I hit a dead end.