21) Niki

We got back to the Blessed-Cursed headquarters in Barbol as fast as we could.

When we arrived, Sunghoon immediately began rallying their forces in the training grounds, and Heeseung, Jay and I started working on a strategy to infiltrate the palace.

Jay, ever the voice of reason, argued that we weren't prepared to face the king. We have the documents that hold the secret to an antidote for Minho's poison, we just need a little time for Heeseung to develop it.

But that could take weeks, and no one else could agree to wait.

I will not wait.

Jake is my best friend, and I care about Sunoo. I have to save them, and every second we delay might be the moment Minho decides to hurt them, or worse.

So it's now or never, we need to finish this.

But without the protection of an antidote, there can be no room for mistakes, the plan had to be flawless.

We hardly rested, with each of us taking it in turns to sleep and eat whilst the others kept going, kept training, kept plotting.

On the first night, I overheard Jay and Heeseung talking.

Jay was telling Heeseung that we were being too reckless, that he thought Heeseung and Sunghoon's feelings for the prince were clouding their judgement.

"Then tell me something." Heeseung responded. "If it was Jungwon the king had taken, would you wait to rescue him?"

The silence was deafening.

I noticed Jay didn't voice any further objections to us after that.

It took 3 days for us to be ready, which is longer than any of us wanted, but now it's finally time. I just pray it's not too late for Jake and Sunoo.

We're coming, just hold on.

I'm not afraid as I walk up to the palace entrance alone.

No matter what happens today, I swear I'll never fear Minho again.

I feel nothing but a detached calm, which settles over me like the morning mist on my skin. It casts the palace in a foreboding cloak of hazy grey, the peaks of its turrets concealed within it.

I stop outside.

"Open the gates." I instruct the gobsmacked guards, who stare at me as if they've seen a ghost.

They ask me to wait a moment as they slip inside, apparently to discuss what the hell they should do.

There's a commotion as more guards come to see what's happening and the news of my arrival spreads.

Not all that much time has passed since Jake and I disappeared, but I think I look different to them. I actively avoided attention before, despite my status, but now, dressed in the simple black attire of Blessed-Cursed, I let my body language radiate confidence.

Eventually the gates swing open, and I'm searched before entering.

I wasn't stupid enough to think I could walk in with weapons.

"The king has been looking for you." One of the guards remarks, as if I might not be aware.

"Tell him I'm here. I'll be waiting in the throne room." I declare and immediately start ascending the stairs to go inside.

No one stops me.

The room is empty when I arrive, still too early for the court to have gathered yet on the chairs and balconies lining each side. But after a minute some soldiers enter, cautiously taking their places along the walls in uncertainty of what to expect from my sudden appearance here.