6. Dinner Party

Your entrouge slowly made its way through the winding halls of the palace. You were at the very back, Talia and Alva were talking amongst themselves ahead slightly, and two guards were breathing down your neck.

With the pace you were walking at, your eyes flicked from wall to wall, taking in every little detail and possible exit as you were trying to formulate an escape plan. The hard part was the floor you were on. Talia's bedroom happened to be situated near the Kings, meaning this place was heavily guarded. Bummer.

After a while, you reached the top of the royal staircase as Talia whispered something to Alva, receiving a nod in response and hurrying ahead, out of sight.

(Y/N): "Something wrong?"

She shook her head before slowing her pace to match yours.

Talia: "Quite the opposite, actually. Everything is looking up for us."

This caught your attention.

(Y/N): "Us?"

Talia: "Yup."

The two of you descended the grand staircase as your party split. The two guards stayed put at the top of the stairs, and Alva hurried off ahead, probably to make sure security was up to par.

Rounding the last corner, you spot your endgoal as the end of a lavish-looking dining table peered from around the corner of the large open doors. You feel Talia tap your shoulder before stopping you just before you entered.

Talia: "You really need to keep quiet, which for you is impossible. Only speak when spoken to and refer by title. I'd hate to see this handsome head mounted on a pike."

You gulped slightly before nodding in response. You see the relief in her eyes as she brings her hand up to your face, cupping your cheek affectionately. A blush slowly formed between the two of you.

Talia: "Let's just get this over with."

You had no idea what to make of her. You should hate her guts for what she did to you and your men, but your hatred for the deserter king overshadowed it. After all, war is war. Another part of you was sent reeling. Every act of affection from her repulsed and intrigued you. She knew exactly how to push your buttons, and for some reason, you let her.

The sensation of her fingers intertwining with yours brings you back to the present.

Talia: "Come on."

Following obediently, the second you set foot in the ballroom, all eyes were on you. It felt awful.

At the head of the table, sat on a large, golden chair was who you assumed to be the king. Slicked-back black hair, slightly greying, and a full beard obscured his features besides his cold and calculating eyes.

To his left was who you assumed to be the queen. Raven-haired with a fair complexion and large Crimson orbs. Yeah, definitely Talia's parents.

Talia stalks the opposite end of the table as the King jumps to his feet, opening his arms to embrace his daughter. You immediately spot Talia's reluctance at the gesture, but she reciprocated all the same.

King: "My beautiful daughter, returning from yet another successful conquest. You make an old man proud."

Talia: "Thank you, father."

Her cold gaze met his as they stared each other down for a couple of seconds before Talia saunters back over to you and sits down at the opposite end. She motions for you to do the same.

You match her movements and sit yourself down by her side.

King: "And who's our guest?"

Talia: "He's mine. A trophy befitting a victory."