Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Cold air was blowing into my face, violently pushing my hair over my eyes, as we all crept towards the cave.  The dragon lay on the ground, curled up into a large ball of scaley skin. It's breathing was heavy and loud, but it seemed as if nothing could wake it. "I wonder how long it's been here." Salazar pondered. He had an odd fascination in dragons, snakes and other reptiles, which was no surprise as he was parsletongue.  

"What should we do?" I asked in my quietest whisper. Although I loved animals and plants, and all things to do with nature, I was scared. I  had never seen a dragon before, and quite frankly, I didn't know what to expect. It was a very rare thing to see a dragon, even among us magic folk. "Mother will be wondering where I am, and so will father." Rowena trembled. The icy wind was getting to us, and the feeling was extremely unpleasant.

"Stand back, I'll see if we can get around it, and maybe exit the cave from the other side." And as soon as he had said, Godrick had disappeared. "Shouldn't we just retrace our steps, and go back to the village?" I asked, getting more and more worried as Godrick was failing to return. "We can go back and get help! Besides we weren't even meant to come this way in the first place." Neither Rowena nore Salazar listened to me, as they waited looking into the cave with nervous, expectant eyes. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few minutes later I spotted a flash of golden, blonde speeding towards us. It was Godrick! He came rushing out, seeminly breathless, clutching a strange, small object tightly in his hands. "Whats that?" Sal asked, looking extremely unimpressed. "It's a feather." Said Rowena, stating the obvious. "What's it for though?" I wanted to know. Godrick crouched down, trying to catch his breath and then looked up at us. He wore a huge grin on his face, which told us he had some sort of idea.

Stepping towards the dragon again, he turned his head to face us. "I'm going to us the feather to tickle it." He explained. We all stared at him with horrified looks. "The Sal will ask it how to get back to the village." The way he said it, made it sound so easy, but I knew it wouldn't work. "That's not a good idea Rick..." I tried. "And besides I can't sp-" Started Sal, but he was cut off by a sudden grunt coming from the dragon. Godrick had tickled it already. "Come on Sal, quick, ask it." "I can only speak to snakes!" Was Sal's reply. At that, Godrick started to panic. "Oh no!" We all shouted in unison as the dragon stood up from the ground, greeting us all with a pair of large purple eyes.

Fire stormed out of it's mouth, heading straight for Rowena, but she managed to dive out of the way before it struck her. "Godrick! Your so stupid!" She screamed over the racket of the dragon's beating wings. It started to rise into the sky, getting higher and higher each second. "RUN!" I screamed as loud as I could. Grabbing Rowena's hand, and helping her up off the floor, we all turned on our heels. Fire was shooting at us in all sorts of different directions. My wand was out, blocking all of the ones that came close to us. This was not good. Not good at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  

We ducked behind a rock, huddling close together and holding our breaths. Glancing at Godrick I sent him a long, and powerful death stare. One last ball of fire came hurling at the rock, and then everything fell silent. My breath was heavy, my heart was pounding loudly inside my chest, but the dragon was gone. Looking up, I saw that we were nearly back at the village and I sighed in relief. "Thanks guys." I sarcastically muttered under my breath.

As we walked back to our village, Applecross, Godrick suddenly said "Well that was fun!" We all looked at him, unamused expressions on our faces. "Right, sorry." He said raising his hands up in the air, in a jokey manor. I chuckled slightly at his gesture, I could tell he was trying to lighten the mood.

"Haven't you guys ever heard of the saying, 'Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus' ?" Rowena asked, making it sound like the phrase was spoken everywhere. "No." Me and the boys all said at once. "You should read more." She said shaking her head. "What does it mean then?" I asked, now curious. "It means 'Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon'." She laughed. Godrick looked down at his feet in embarassmant. "Well, I guess we now know why." Sal chuckled, causing us all to join in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Well, I guess I'll see you guys soon." I sighed as I stepped towards my front door. "That is, if my mum ever lets me out again." "Oh gosh, yeah, sorry Helly." Rowena looked down at her feet. "It's ok guys." I laughed. "I'm sure she'll be fine." I stepped inside and went to take off my shoes, placing them by my bedroom door. I hurried back outside to quickly say goodbye to the others, my socks becoming soggy with the dewy, wet grass. "Bye guys!" I said, hugging them all tightly. "Bye Helly!" They all exclaimed as they turned down the lane.

Leaning against the door frame, I watched as my three best friends stuck their hands into the air, each making a thumbs up symbol with them. "Sorry!" Called Sal from the middle, as they disappeared. "See you tomorrow!" I smiled, knowing that I most probably would.