Chapter Eleven: Chance Andrews

The next day, CJ's mom Aaliyah (who works for a clothing company or something, I'm not really sure) helped us try on suits for the court day. I didn't enjoy it, of course, but it was really nice of her to do that for us.

When I went up to her, I saw her flipping through suits to find one my size. When she found one, she said, "Mark my words, young man. When I'm done with you, that criminal will be beggin' for your love back."

I crossed my arms over my chest and trembled at the thought of it.

"Was that too much," she asked.

"Yes," I responded without hesitation.

Following that was court day. They scheduled it strangely early, at least in my opinion. Maybe that was normal, though. I don't know.

Immediately upon arrival, I was unpleasantly greeted with Hart's presence (and- for the record- he never once asked for my love back). I couldn't believe that he was roaming free like that. Landon couldn't either apparently, because as soon as he saw him, he decided to make a point of being as terrifyingly threatening to him as possible.

Landon looked Hart dead in his guilty eyes and said, "If you lay a finger on anybody here, especially Chance, you're as good as dead. I'm not afraid of jail, and I'm definitely not afraid of you."

Then he looked back over, and found me as far up against the wall as I could possibly be. I was trying not to look like I was scared out of my damn mind, but I probably achieved the exact opposite of that.

"Don't worry, kid. I won't let him do anything to you," he assured me. From what I saw, he went to put a hand on my shoulder, but stopped himself. He probably thought I wouldn't be comfortable with it.

I wanted to say something, but I was at a loss for words.

"If it'll make you feel safer, I can ask to sit next to you during the case," Landon offered.

"No, it's okay. I'll be okay," I half lied.

"Are you sure? I don't mind doing that for you if it's what you want. If I did, why would I even offer it to you, right? That would be silly," he said. "I just want you to be alright, Chance."

"Seriously. I'll be okay," I said. I was still mumbling, so I didn't really sound like I was sure.

I think that Landon would have continued pushing me to tell him the truth if we weren't interrupted. "Chance! There you are," Taylor said, as she ran up to me with an armful of paperwork. "I wasn't able to reach your mother. I don't think she's going to come," she told me.

I think I visibly looked disappointed when she told me that, because she followed it with, "I'm sorry."

"I don't think we've heard from his mom since before the night it happened," Landon said.

"You're right. It's almost like she's missing," Taylor confirmed. "When did you see her last, Chance?"

"Right before the uh- it- happened, she went to the bar and never came back," I explained. It wasn't a good look for her, especially since I was talking to someone working with the law, but what was I supposed to do? Lie about it? That would be even worse.

"Blegh," Landon wallowed shamelessly. "Probably blacked out somewhere and hasn't woken up."

"Landon!" Taylor came over and wrapped an arm around me defensively with no hesitation. "Don't make such gloomy assumptions so light-heartedly! How do you think he feels about this?"