Prologue

6th of May

He watches the mirror closely as the comb brushes through his long white hair. The few rays of sunlight coming through the curtains make the streaks glow brightly, as if the hair was light itself. A sigh escapes his lips as he puts the comb down and decides to leave his room.

"Sir Lapis! Up so soon?" He smiles at the voice of his housekeeper. "Of course, Miss Mary. Knowledge doesn't come out of the blue."
"Like you always say", She chuckles.
She's an elderly lady, her white wings slowly being tainted in shades of gray. Her blonde hair also turning whiter every day. A kind smile always decorates her wrinkly face. She was always kind to Lapis. She cared for his research and encouraged him. Unlike the rest of the village, she supported him.

"I'll be out for the day but I'll be back for dinner", Lapis says as he throws on a thick scarf, long enough for it to cover his shoulders. "May I ask where you are going, Sir?"
"I ought not to tell you. I'm afraid I'm sworn to secrecy on this matter." She hums at Lapis' words. He was always secretive. "Of course, Sir."
He smiles at the old lady and grabs his backpack. Before he reaches for the doorknob he turns back one last time. "Have a good day, Mary. Don't overdo it again, okay?" She nods with a grin. "Yes, Sir Lapis."

He then leaves the safety of his home and steps out onto the streets of his lively village. With a blank expression on his face he wanders through the busy market, trying not to draw too much attention to himself.

The other angels always stayed wary of him. They were afraid of his hunger for knowledge while they continued to live their carefree lives. He didn't fit in and he's okay with that.

Lapis ignores their confused stares and makes his way beyond the village and into the mountains behind it. His steps are placed carefully and with determination as he hikes up the mountain.

If he manages to find what he had been searching for years he'd be unstoppable.

After climbing up a ledge he sits down on a boulder and grabs a book from his backpack.
The book looks old and used, its cover slowly falling apart as Lapis turns its yellow pages.
"It must be here somewhere." Suddenly he spots a cave in the distance. He looks down at the image in his book and holds it up next to the cave in the distance. "I can't believe it", He sighs with a bright smile on his face. "I've found it!" He jumps up and immediately climbs over to the cave.

With a smirk on his face Lapis lights up his oil lamp and enters the dark cave. As soon as the sunlight vanishes it becomes cold and humid. Lapis' shoes are wet from stepping into multiple puddles but he doesn't mind. He's almost at there. All his life he's been waiting for this moment.

He continues to follow the path slowly loosing hope. He's been walking for a while but the walls look the same. The same gray stone he saw a few meters back.

Suddenly he sees an unusual light ahead of him. Something is reflecting the light of his lamp but only this time it's not a puddle. It's something different. He jogs over to his discovery only to find a sealed flask. "Yes", He calls out as he takes the flask into his hand. "I've found it", He exclaims happily.
"The flask of endless knowledge. How long have I waited for this moment."

He stuffs the flask into his bag and retraces his steps to the entrance of the cave.

As he sees the sunlight again he notices the orange sky. He had been away the whole day. It's time to return home. Before he can even step a foot down the mountain he reaches for the flask once again. He inspects it in the sunlight.
The black liquid inside moves roughly in every direction Lapis tilts it. It looks too good to be true.
He can't contain himself. Lapis slowly opens the dirty flask and smells the liquid. It smells old yet somewhat sweet. "My efforts weren't in vain." Suddenly the liquid inside starts to move. It swells up and flows out of the flask, as if it were an animal. Lapis watches the liquid closely as it wraps itself around his arm. "What", He gasps. A sharp pain pierces his skin. Lapis yells out as the liquid claws itself up his arm. With his free arm Lapis tries to free himself but to no avail. This liquid is too stubborn, it became one with his skin.

He falls to his knees as the pain grows even more. There's nothing he can do. The pain is far too great. He's helpless as the thick liquid forces itself down his throat. The thickness of this potion clogs up Lapis' throat making it hard to breathe as the liquid violently enters his body.

Lapis continues to gasp for air, now certain of the mistake he made. Will it really be worth it.

A few minutes after collapsing Lapis can finally breathe again. A small relief even though the pain hasn't left him. His body aches, his wings feeling numb and heavy.
The village is only a small hike away. He can manage. With the last strength in his body Lapis pulls himself onto his feet and stumbles down the trail he came. Every step aches, as if he were walking on shards of glass that pierced his feet with every move.

As he finally reaches the edge of the village he falls to his knees, his legs too weak to carry him any further. "Oh dear", He hears. Someone is approaching.
A familiar voice.
Lapis tries to speak but all he can do is cough. His throat became dry and itchy after the liquid forced itself in. "Sir Lapis. You're hurt!" It's Mary.
She must have known that something was wrong. Lapis always returned just before supper. Now that he sees glimpses of the dark sky he knows it's well past it.
"I'll go get help." Before Mary can rush off Lapis grabs her arm. "No", He coughs. "Run", He continues. "What? Run from what?" Suddenly Lapis' skin turns a dark shade of grey, scales growing out of his soft skin. "From me", He yells as more pain rushes through his body.
A loud and piercing scream rings from his lips as Mary watches in horror.
This isn't the man she once knew.

Her body freezes as she watches Lapis turn into a dark monster with glowing red eyes. Those blue eyes she once knew, filled with ambition and kindness were now gone. All she sees is anger and hatred.
"Lapis, what have you done", Mary finally manages to say.

As the transformation is finally complete Lapis looks around. All those eyes staring at him. It makes him angry, it reminds him of all those times they would stand by and watch when other angels beat him on the market for simply walking past. It reminds him of how hated he was just for simply wanting to understand the world around him.
A growl escapes his lips as he slowly walks towards the other angels. Some watch him closely, some have already fled.

Lapis grabs a male angel by his throat. "You", He growls as he holds the man up, slowly choking him. "You threw your horse's shit on my house. I remember it like it was yesterday. When I confronted you, you only laughed and pushed me into those feces. You disgust me."
Lapis feels a crack in his hand. The angels neck snapped in half from his power.
A sudden rush fills Lapis. He killed one of his abusers, just like that.
He looks up at the other familiar faces that wronged him.
"You all disgust me."