What Comes With Wings

A/N 

im making a little collection of short fluff fics while I'm working on prewriting a bunch of dsbi and angsty fics for whumptober.

I hope God accepts this fic as my apology for my serial-killer looking search history

anyways, PREENING FIC! WINGS! CRIMEBOIS! AAAAA sorry if the beginning is a little rough, i just wanted to get to the instinct fluff LMAO

enjoy :D <3

synopsis: Tommy learns that growing in his wings is a painful process. Luckily, Wilbur is there to help

or, Preening fic :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You've got to be fucking kidding me," Tommy said, reflection staring back at him from the mirror with an equal state of shock.

The large white wings on his back twitched at his words, the slight movement sending a bolt of pain up his back. Even though the wings had appeared overnight, they still felt unbearably painful when he moved them, feathers mixed together and twisted at angles he was pretty sure they shouldn't normally be in; likely a side effect of them growing while he was asleep. But, even though they were painful, the weight was almost unnoticeable– so unnoticeable, in fact, that he hadn't even noticed it was there until stepping into the bathroom this morning. Now seeing that he had two new limbs surrounding his head like a halo, pristine, glowing feathers almost angelic, it was impossible to ignore.

But, fuck, they hurt .

Tommy narrowed his eyes at the mirror as he tilted his wing further open, attempting to inspect the damage before he could panic, but only bit back a yelp as a wave of hot fire made his back sting. His wings fell shut on instinct– as if to protect him from the pain, even though the limbs were the ones causing it.

Stupid fucking bird instincts. He'd only been awake for about ten minutes, but he was already annoyed.

All the different books he'd read on avian hybrids never mentioned this level of pain. They mentioned imprinting and chirping, how they communicated without even speaking, but never how much it hurt to just have wings. Surely Wilbur couldn't be living like this, right?

"Wil!" Tommy shouted, yanking his gaze away from otherworldly white feathers. "Wil, come over here!"

Not even a second passed before he could hear footsteps approaching and a slam, almost as if someone had hit the wall in their rush. A sharp swear echoed throughout the next-door room before the knob of the bathroom door turned and his older brother stumbled inside.

"Tommy- darling- what's wrong?" Wilbur panted, one arm grabbing on the wall. His own deep blue wings were tucked tightly away underneath his shirt. Curly brown hair fell over his face and covered the top half of his glasses, a light yellow sweater with the print of a sheep keeping him warm despite the cold house. "Are you hurt, or-" he abruptly cut off, words tinged with instinctive panic.

He froze the moment his eyes landed on the puffy wings on Tommy's back.

"Oh my God," his brother breathed, taking a few steps closer. Tommy blinked back the tears in his eyes at another wave of pain that racked through his back, managing to hit every single nerve. "Tommy! Your wings- they finally grew in!"

The younger couldn't help the small smile that tugged at his lips at the pure joy dancing in Wilbur's eyes, but winced when he found himself wrapped in a tight hug. His brother's hold quickly loosened at Tommy's pained squeak, pausing to look closer at the mess of his feathers and the dried specks of blood dotting along the edges; the stray feathers, twisted and broken, the pain strong enough to keep Tommy knocked out while the limbs tore from his back.

Wilbur's hands drifted to rest loosely on his shoulders, squeezing lightly before pulling away. Tommy barely bit back the foreign feeling that rose in his throat– an inhuman sound threatening to spill out, something that came paired perfectly with the angel wings on his back.

"Oh, poor thing," he cooed, taking the younger's hand in his own. "It probably hurts, doesn't it?

Tommy silently nodded, sniffing at the tears that pooled in his eyes.

"Don't worry, darling, I can help fix that," Wilbur assured, gently pulling him out of the bathroom. Tommy didn't resist, merely following alone while hissing at every twitch and brush of his wing against the wall, ignoring the sympathetic looks the elder shot at him every few seconds.

He soon found himself led to sit down on the bed, Wilbur sitting down next to him and carefully dragging him closer to his chest. His wings hung limp from his back as Tommy buried his face in his brother's neck.

"There you go. I know it hurts, but you just gotta let me preen you, okay?" Wilbur pressed a close-lipped kiss to his head. "It'll make the pain go away, I promise."

Tommy nodded again, his own arms clinging tightly around Wilbur's back, fingers bunching into the sweater to keep him held close. The elder chirped, a sound that Tommy instinctively knew was made to soothe and comfort .

Tommy couldn't hold back the answering chirp that threatened to escape his lips, curling further into Wilbur's hold. He went stiff as his brother's hand carefully brushed over the fresh feathers, careful not to touch any of the bruised spots where the new limb met with his spine from the growth, instead choosing to lightly card through them and shift a group of feathers back in place. The entire wing felt tingly and light; the pain was gone in an instant. Tommy cooed in thanks, his pupils immediately enlarging and leaving only a thin ring of blue. He pressed his face into his brother's neck.

He heard a light laugh rumble against him, and another area of his wings was slowly adjusted. His brother lightly pressed the bruises that ran around flattened, broken feathers, plucking them out and soothing over the area with a brush of his fingers and moving the rest of the healthy feathers to line up correctly. Tommy practically melted, a mixture of coos, chirps, and warbles escaping him as he basked in the feeling. Where pain once overtook the wing, now there was only a light, freeing sensation, as though a weight had been lifted from his back.

Wilbur didn't hesitate to quickly begin preening the second wing, answering Tommy's every call and allowing the preened wing to wrap around his back, cementing them together. His free hand began to card through his brother's golden curls, and he couldn't resist pausing for a split second to press a kiss to the top of his head, chirping a fledgling call and hugging Tommy closer. The boy hummed in contentment, his wing falling flat as he finished smoothing out the feathers and leaving a small pile of white fluff around them.

Already, Tommy's eyes began to fall heavy, as though there were tiny weights resting on his eyelids. His bright wings enclosed them both, casting them in darkness despite the light peaking through at the top. But the mixture of warmth, the relief at having his wings fixed, and his closeness to his brother, made it easy for him to drift off.

Within seconds, the boy was fast asleep.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tommy: damn my back kinda hurts this morning, must be my gamer slouch

Tommy, stepping out of the bathroom with massive fucking wings on his back: okay it wasn't my gamer slouch

---

hope you enjoyed! accept this series as a warning because the angst coming this October is,,,, erm,,, a n g s t y. anyways I'm obsessed with wing fics right now and having been rereading like the same few fluffy fics the last few days because they give me life

as always, comments, stars, and bookmarks are appreciated! thanks for reading, and cya later

my twitter, where I post about sbi and writing :D https://twitter.com/W3llthatsIronic

ONE LAST IMPORTANT THING: thank you guys so much for a combined total of 80K reads on ao3 and wattpad! The fact that THAT many people have read my fics is...insane (/vpos) and I want to cry just thinking about it. Geniunely, thank you guys so much for your support. <3