Chapter 1

Abbey Halloway

"Time's up." Professor Stanley said as the timer on his phone began to chime. Professor Stanley has been my English professor over the last year, and as his timer went off it signaled more to me than that his final was done. It signaled all of my finals for the year were finally over. The stress the last year had been more than I thought it would be going into my first year of college.

The class began to close the thick pamphlets we were given when we walked in and set pencils next to them on our tiny desks.

The auditorium was a nice size with 100 wooden and steel desks on descending platforms all angled at the standing professor, the walls a boring eggshell white and the floors a beautiful navy blue carpet . Almost all of my classes were identical to this one all in various famous halls across campus. 

Professor Stanley a tall slender man with square framed glasses began to walk around to collect the tests. He wore a nice charcoal suit almost every day with his dress shoes and Rolex on his arm. He was fairly young for a college professor only 30 years old according to his bio on the school's website and was an attractive man. I was curious all year as to why he was still single as a successful bachelor in New York. But, I let my thoughts go to focus on my classes, and he was indeed my professor.

As professor Stanley made his way through the desks, he stopped to grab my pamphlet.

"How do you think you did Ms. Halloway?" He asked looking at me with a small smile on his face.

"I guess we will see Mr. Stanley." I said giving him a small smile back.

English has always been my best and favorite subject. But, college has been more of a challenge. I have managed to maintain a 98 in the course despite it all.

"I'm sure you've done great. You do have the highest grade in the class after all." Mr. Stanley stated, his smile growing a little more.

"Well that is credit to the amazing professor we have." I complimented smiling a little more, batting my eyelashes up at him.

Who am I to turn down an innocent flirting opportunity?

I brushed my hair behind my ear and stood to leave the class grabbing my bag on the way up.

"Class, please enjoy your summer away from here, for those that go back home." Professor Stanley stated turning to the class of people gathering their things to leave. 

I walked out of class with the rest of the class excited to get back to my apartment. The time was now 4:45 and the traffic would be terrible trying to navigate through a sea of people to go 3 blocks over. 

As I get out of the class the sea has already begun. Hundreds of students walking out of class. Some looking like they are heading to the library. Most looking excited to be done with their class. The summer classes would be for the overachievers. I normally would join them but, this year I'm taking a break to focus on some much needed R&R. 

"Abbey!" A shout came from over my shoulder.

I turned around to find Drake, one of my roommates jogging through the crowd towards me. 

"Hey Drake!" I shouted back, pausing in the crown for him to catch up. 

"A few of us are going out tonight to celebrate the end of the school year, you should come!" He stated looking down on me. 

Unfortunately almost every one looks down on me since I'm only 5'2. But Drake especially, seeing as he's 6'3.

"Just text me the details. I'm there." I smiled and turned around to proceed the walk home.

"Well, how about I just tell you as we walk back to the apartment?" He asked.

"Sure, I thought you were going to be waiting on Alex?" I asked turning to begin our walk home.

"Ah, he's heading to the library to study for his next course." He explained looking a little sad with a smirk on his face.

"Well, law school is tough, I'm sure he's not going to be too long." I stated trying to cheer him up.

Drake and Alex have been together for last two years. Since our senior year in high school. We all got super excited to get into NYU together all in our own specialties.

"Yeah I'm sure it won't be too long. He should be meeting us out there!" He exclaimed looking more bright eyed as normal. 

We continued to walk home as he continued to tell me all of the details of the clubs we would be hitting up. I continued and listened. This night should be a lot of fun with friends. 

We made our way to our apartment building and up to our apartment. Inside was the decorated apartment. Kinda messy, but not messy in the sense of dirty. Just decorated for 3 people with a lot of personality. I went to my room and but my things down getting ready for a shower.

I stripped down and went over to the bathroom and turned on the water. Turning to the mirror I began to wrap up my long brown curls into a messy bun and turned to check the temperature. Perfect. I stepped into the now steaming shower and began my shower. 

Rinsing the soap off my body I spun around to turn off the shower. Grabbing my towel I stepped out of the shower and began drying off. 

A wet sensation began to tickle my toes. I looked down to see the bathroom flooding. I turned to the shower. Off. 

Freaking out I turn to the door and try to open it. No budge. What the hell is going on? 

The water begins rising faster and faster. In less than a minute the water is to waist level. Shout for Drake over and over. But no response. The water continues to rise. Soon, I'm swimming in my own bathroom. But I see nothing else is swimming in the room. What the hell is this?

I shout frantically over and over, "HELP! SOMEONE HELP ME!"