CHAPTER 14

ADLAI

Adlai sitting alone an enjoying his dinner. Adlai feels the most at ease when he is by himself and often sneaks off to get that alone time. Not even the whispers seem to haunt him on nice, sunny days like the one depicted below.

As Adlai felt a surge of confidence in his chest, the people heading his way shrunk at his approach

As Adlai felt a surge of confidence in his chest, the people heading his way shrunk at his approach. Adlai first presumed it was he who caused them to cower, but he learned the truth when he followed the contemptuous gazes of the populace.

Coming into town from the same direction as Adlai were a troop of gray-clad guard. These men were all fair in feature and they carried a domineering intent.

Despite their uniformed attire, these men were nothing of the sort. Rifles dangled from hand and slung without care, and callous remarks were hurled at the populace on the pretense of well established power. They aimed their rifles at any bystander they saw fit and, when the people panicked before a false shot, the gray-clad guard let out a callous laughter.

"Another Warden patrol? That's the seventh in the last two days," said a passing citizen.

"Ugh," replied a second. " I wished they would just disappear. Who cares who they're looking for. The guy that killed those goons deserves a medal."

"Shh! Not so loud you two." a third responded. "Come on. Let's just hurry by."

Adlai heard the banter of the trio, and watched as everyone made way for the soldiers. The cacophony of day-to-day life soon became a whimper as the entire slums bent around the patrol. Only Adlai lingered in the center, for he did not recognize the gestures of those who urged him to get out of the soldier's way. When the Eldest Arbitor finally found his wits, it was too late. Warden were upon him.

"Coming through!" shouted a soldier.

He shoved Adlai aside and the young man fell onto the trail.

"Whoa there, kid," said the soldier. "I know I announced our squad with a little base in my voice, but there's no need to fall all over yourself." The soldier walked on, catching up to the rest of his squadron who laughed with shared satisfaction. "Who am I kidding," said the soldier. "These people love to bathe in the dirt."

"You probably just made his day," said another.

"What can I say? Serving the slum rats is all in a days work for a Warden soldier," he responded.

The two men looked at Adlai as he struggled upright when they both saw his lost limb.

"Oh wow, I didn't know that one was a cripple!"

Both soldiers began to laugh again .

"That's enough, you two!" The command came from the captain of the squad. As Adlai looked up, he saw that their superior was a thin and grizzled man with a pistol on his belt and a knife on his boot. The captain ordered the patrol to halt with a single wave of the hand. He then saw to the stragglers himself.