Chapter 3

"Ruth, hurry up, we're going to be late!" Carol shouted. She was wearing her hair in a semi updo, a blue halter neck top, black jeans and heels that were also black.

"I'm coming! Give me a second!" Ruth yelled from the bathroom. She had been trying to do something with her wildly unruly hair for ten minutes. "It would be so much easier if I straightened it." She thought, "But it looks awful on me."

In the end, she despaired and opted to pull it back into a high ponytail, letting a couple of strands fall down the sides of her face. She had put on a long-sleeved beige V-neck dress and beige heels. Leaving the bathroom, she went to her room for a moment. She picked up a pill box, put her medication inside and put it in her purse. Just in case. Then she ran to the foyer of the house, where Carol was waiting for her.

Forty-five minutes later, Carol and Ruth were standing in front of a huge house. From outside they could see how many people were there and could hear music playing. Ruth began to feel overwhelmed. She had never felt comfortable in crowded places.

" Chill, Ruth." Carol's voice interrupted her thoughts "Let's have some fun, okay?"

Ruth smiled, not very convinced " Yeah. Let's have fun."

They went inside the house, which was bursting at the seams. Carol soon found AJ and the two got into a conversation about God knows what. This caused Carol to leave Ruth's side a bit. She walked over to a table where there were drinks of all kinds and grabbed a Coke. The doctor had been very insistent about how inadvisable it was to mix antidepressants with alcohol, so she never drank. She leaned against the wall and drank her Coke as her gaze wandered around the room.

She didn't realize that, across the room, there was someone watching her. From the moment she and Carol had walked through the door, Kevin had only had eyes for her. In fact, he had been thinking about her all day. Well, not ALL day, but at times. The first time he'd seen her, the day before, his first thought had been "She's beautiful." But what caught his attention the most was her gaze. It was delicate, soft, and at the same time seemed to encapsulate a strong personality.

"What are you looking at, Kev?" Kevin was startled to find Brian, grinning like the Cheshire cat, at his side.

"Nothing special. I was just looking. Generally." Kevin replied, trying to look disinterested.

"Yeah, right. Aren't you staring at the girl from the bar?" Brian asked, pointing to Ruth with his head.

Kevin looked at his cousin and shook his head before taking a sip of his beer "I don't know what you're talking about."