Chapter 8

Ruth sighed as she closed her eyes for a moment, feeling the cool breeze coming through her apartment window. Opening her eyes again, she looked down, and couldn't help but smile. Kevin was dozing, his head resting in her lap. Officially, it was safe to say they were in a relationship.

The last two weeks together with him had been fantastic; it had been a long time since Ruth had felt this good with someone. Kevin turned out to be the loving, romantic, attentive boyfriend she always imagined he would be.

Ruth watched the features of Kevin's face carefully. She wondered to herself how they could be so soft and so masculine at the same time. Everything about him was perfect. Ruth smiled softly as she ran her fingers through his hair. Suddenly, Kevin's eyes opened. Ruth's pulse quickened every time those beautiful green eyes looked at her.

"How long have I been asleep?" He whispered as a slight smile formed on his lips. His voice, somewhat husky, and his southern drawl made Ruth shiver inside.

"Not much, don't worry." Ruth whispered, still stroking his hair "It's normal, you've been getting rather little sleep for days."

It was true. Since they had started recording the Backstreet Boys' second album, none of the five of them had hardly any time to rest. With a grunt, Kevin sat up in bed. He rubbed his eyes, and when he opened them, he saw Ruth watching him with interest. Seeing that he had caught her looking at him, Ruth blushed heavily. Kevin just laughed softly as he put his arm around her shoulders and kissed her temple. Ruth gave a deep sigh as she wrapped her arm around his torso. Kevin looked up and made eye contact with Ruth "Are you going to let me read it?"

Ruth sighed and placed her forehead against his "I don't know..."

"I'm not going to judge you...I just feel like knowing what you're passionate about." Kevin told her in a reassuring tone as he stroked her cheek.

After hesitating for a few seconds, Ruth stood up and walked to the closet. She pulled out a huge shoebox and from it she took out the manuscript she was hiding. Ruth had always loved writing stories, and in particular, scripts. When she was a senior in high school, during one of her many sleepless nights, her mind lit up with an idea. She grabbed a pen and paper and started writing. It took her practically a year to finish it, and it was one of the few things she had ever been proud of in her life. Still, she had always kept it hidden. But since Kevin had dared to show her some of the songs he had written, it was only fair that she should show him that. She sat back down on the bed, leaving the manuscript in Kevin's hands. He opened it and began to read it, silently. Ruth watched nervously as Kevin's expression kept changing with each page he read. Several minutes later, Kevin closed the manuscript and looked up.

"It's great."

Ruth's eyes went wide as her heart raced and her face was adorned with a wide grin "Really? You think so?"