Chapter Fifteen

S A R A

"We shouldn't be doing this, Sara...n-not again," he says as he tears his lips from mine.

My fingers tug on the loosened knot of his tie, pulling him back into me. His jaw tightens and he brushes the pad of his thumb across my cheek.

"I know," I say softly, watching sadness fill his eyes.

I release his tie from my grasp, straightening it back up and then run my fingers through his tousled curls returning them to their rightful place. "Good as new," I quip, trying to lighten the mood.

"Thanks," he chuckles, a small smile turning up one corner of his mouth. That damn smile.

He wraps his arms around my shoulders and pulls me into a tight hug, his intoxicating scent filling my nostrils.

I squeeze him back, basking in the few moments I have to be wrapped up in him again. I wish we could stay like this forever.

"I'm sorry," he whispers into my hair before he drops his arms from around me and wipes a stray tear from my eye.

He takes one last look at me, the smile from seconds ago now faded from his face and turns to walk down the dimly lit hallway of Cedar High.

How the fuck did I wind up here? "Ten years older, but clearly none the wiser," I think to myself as more tears threaten to spill from my eyes.

Don't have a breakdown. Not here... not today.

I suck in a deep breath and readjust the thin straps of my dress before making my way back to the gym where the rest of my former classmates are all mingling.

"Sara, Sara, Sara..." A voice I'd recognize anywhere calls out at me from the shadows.

Fuck me. Why him of all fucking people? The universe clearly has a vendetta against me.

I turn on my heel, crossing my arms over my chest. "What do you want, Alec?" I bite.

"I guess some things never change," he responds, stalking over to me, the light cascading over his smug, but still perfect, face.

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"After all this time you still haven't learned your lesson, have you?" he asks, leaning his hand against the row of lockers behind me, memories from junior year flooding my mind. "Still going after him."

I roll my eyes and take a step away before his hand wraps around my arm.

"Don't walk away from me," he growls, pulling me into his chest, the smell of stale cigarettes replacing the intoxicating one that lingered there from moments ago.

He tilts my chin up, forcing me to meet his piercing hazel eyes, and I find myself getting lost in them like I had so many times before. I forgot how beautiful they were.

Back then he could get me to do anything he wanted when he looked at me the way he is right now, and the butterflies starting to flutter around in my stomach reminded me that he still has that power.

"Why are you here? I thought you hated this place?" I ask, desperately trying to speed this conversation up so I can get away from him and his eyes that make me feel things I shouldn't.

"I'd never miss the chance to see you again, rosy."

"Don't call me that," I say, my voice failing to come out as powerful as I would have liked.

"Why not? You used to love it," he smirks.

"Used to."

"I'll never forget the sight of those perfectly rosy cheeks the first time I-"