05. fake it till you make it

"now I fear" 

"I have fallen from grace" 

"I like this one!" I spoke up as Susannah and I looked at outfits on hangers. Sussanah grabbed the matching purple set and put it up to belly. We had been shopping all day, I didn't have time to think about anything else. Living in the moment.

"Isn't it pretty?" Elenor's eyes went to laurels for approval. As did mine. Belly seemed to like all this, and I could tell Laurel didn't. But she was there for belly. I admired that.

I spent so much time without anyone back in LA, especially not my mom. My mom is my biggest supporter, and I'm hers as well. I always want to do my best whenever she's around. She's sacrificed so much for me, I don't want her to think I'm throwing it away.

As the moms went to look at the jewelry, me and belly stayed near the dressing room. I don't think me or her had shopped more in one day.

"So what do you think?" I asked as we lay with our backs against the couch. She moved her head on the back of it, to face me.

"About all this?" she asked. I nodded.

"It's one thing to go shopping for all these fun, nice things. It's a whole different thing to go somewhere where I don't know anyone," she said as she looked over to the mirror sitting in front of us. I could tell she was being serious from her facial expressions. She was also talking with her hands. I just chuckled a little.

"You'll be fine, I promise. And yes, they're all snobs with daddy issues but fuck all that. Just try to have fun, okay?" I spoke as she just nodded her head. Both our eyes darted to my mom and Susannah holding an arm full of clothes, laurel behind them. We both looked at each other with our mouths wide open.

As the day went on, I didn't think I had laughed so hard. Belly's outfits and the mom's remarks had me cackling. I felt so free, not the type of free where you feel like you can go anywhere you want. But the one where I felt I didn't have to worry about anything. It was all so new to me. As we walked down the sidewalk, all 5 of us were holding an arm full of bags. Me and Belly were laughing until Susannah stopped us in front of a small store.

"Okay, they're called "fascinators," and all the girls will be wearing them. Phoebe did too." Susannah said as we all looked up at them. All I remembered was that they made my head itch.

"Seriously?" Laurel looked at me, seeing if it was true. I just nodded slowly.

"I don't know about this," Belly said, sounding unsure. She shrugged her shoulders, looking at me. I just rolled my eyes.

"Come on!" I said as I walked up the stairs to the door. Susannah and my mom dragged the 2 of them along.

After 3 glasses of champagne (Mom let me have some) and what felt like every dress in the store. Belly stood before us in an all-white gown, she was breathtaking. If I could choose any song for the moment it would be enchanted by Taylor Swift.

I knew Susannah was very determined to find the right dress. And even though the dress was stunning on belly, she didn't look comfortable in it. Both me and Laurel were sitting on the couch, looking from afar. As Mom and Susannah were touching and feeling the fabric.